Education is the brute force, which has the ability to change this world. Be it the laws of Newton or maybe the complexity of trigonometry a learned person always contributes to society and leads an ideal life. This education is imparted and spread primarily by the teachers, principals, professors, and other academicians, who work for the temples of knowledge, known as schools and colleges.
An assistant principal can be considered as the second most important designation at an educational institution and is responsible to maintain decorum by implementing appropriate rules and policies. If you are having an upcoming interview session for this position, make sure to read all the interview questions mentioned hereunder:
21 Best Interview Questions To Study
1. Classrooms Are The Reason Why This World Has Made Such A Rapid Progress In Every Sphere and Aspect. How Do You Eliminate All The Classroom Problems and Issues Existing Within A School/College?
As an assistant principal, you perform an administrative role, wherein all the irregularities and issues need to be addressed and removed using appropriate measures and techniques.
Sir, no school or college is perfect, however, with serious efforts and adequate measures, all the problems can be removed. I follow a comprehensive technique to address all such issues, which is based on these four steps:
- Plan: This is the first step, wherein all the issues related to classroom teachings are identified and appropriate plans/strategies are developed.
- Act: The plans developed in the planning stage are now implemented and efforts are made to remove all the deficiencies.
- Observe: The implemented plans are regularly checked for discrepancies and variabilities.
- Reflect: The issues identified in the “observe” stage are reflected upon by devising strategies to remove the issues and ensuring that those issues do not occur again.
2. How Will You Improve The Performance Of The Teachers Who Are Not Able To Connect With Their Students?
As an assistant principal, you will be responsible for improving the performance of the underperforming teachers. This question tests your practical working knowledge.
Sir, social connection with the students is always considered to be one of the best ways to enhance learning and engagement. Teachers who lack this connection, are never able to win the trust and belief of their students, which impacts the overall classroom performance as well as the result. I always advise such teachers to engage in formal talks with the students and praise them for their good deeds, besides recognizing each and every student by their name.
3. Can You Share A Few Consequences Of Not Updating The Research Source?
Teachers must constantly update themselves by researching the possible changes in the curriculum. Inability to do so leads to a few consequences, which are being asked for in this question.
Sure, sir, These are:
- It promotes obsolete teaching, which makes the students unaware of the latest changes in the curriculum.
- It conveys wrong facts and information to the students, which hampers their progress
- Makes the students less competent, and less capable of competing in international competitions.
4. The Burden Of Teacher-Student Relationship Lies Upon A Basic Fundamental. Can You Explain It?
This question tests your knowledge about the core principles of pedagogy.
Sir, in my humble opinion, inferences can be drawn from the principles of social constructivism, and the concept of More Knowledgeable Other (MKO) can be associated with this. As per this concept, in a classroom setting, there is always a person, who is superior, knowledgeable, and competent than the student himself. A student always looks upon these people to gain knowledge and guidance.
5. Share Three Best Qualities That Define A Perfect Assistant Principal.
This question tests how much you understand your profession.
Sure, sir, These are:
- An ability to lead the teachers and solve all their issues
- An ability to develop excellent rapport with all the members of the teaching and the non-teaching staff, so that they remain satisfied
- Show high standards of discipline and being detail-oriented
6. You Will Belong To The Top Level Management But Yet You Will Work Under The Leadership and Guidance Of Principal and The Board Members. How Open Are You To Taking and Following Orders From The Management?
Being an assistant principal, you will certainly receive orders from the senior principal and also from the management. Following those orders is a part of your duty, and hence you must answer this question positively.
Sir, I completely understand my position and the designation at which I will operate. Taking orders from my seniors is what I will always look forward to, and would even try my best to execute them in the intended form. Be assured that, I will never refuse to follow any command or instruction given to me by the management.
7. To Ensure A Seamless Delivery Of Classroom Lecture, It Is Necessary That All The Communication Barriers Are Eliminated. Can You Share and Explain Any Such Barrier To Me?
This question tests your knowledge and understanding of the various types of communication barriers that impact the overall delivery of lectures in a classroom.
Sure, sir, In my humble opinion Semantic noises are one of the major communication barriers that severely impact the quality with which the lectures are delivered. In this barrier, the listener (students) draws and interprets a different meaning than what is intended to be conveyed by the speaker. For example, Facts and Fax, are both pronounced in a way and produce a similar sound. When such words are used in a lecture, there are high chances that the listener might interpret them in a wrong way.
8. Usually Assistant Principals Do Not Teach In Classrooms. But, If Given An Opportunity, What Knowledge Would You Like To Impart?
This question requires you to share any subject of knowledge, academic or not, which you will love to teach the students if given a chance.
Sir, considering the tough competition and the ever-rising standards of education, I would love to teach my students about the way in which they can always maintain their confidence levels and persevere in the toughest of situations.
9. Share Any Three Primary Functions Of An Assistant Principal?
This question tests your understanding of your profession.
Sure, sir, These are:
- Framing, implementing, and reviewing the general administrative rules and policies at the premises
- Addressing all the grievances received from the parents, the students, and the teachers
- Developing an employee performance system and conducting consistent analysis of the teachers and the administrative staff
10. Even The Employees Working In The Top Level Management Receive Criticisms and Negative Feedbacks. How Do You React or Behave After Receiving Criticism For Duties Discharged At Your Workplace?
It is common for employees working at all levels to receive negative feedback. Answer this question positively, and share how you will use criticisms in your favor.
Sir, There might be several employees who feel bad or offended after receiving negative feedback or criticism. I am not one of them, rather, I see the negative feedback as an opportunity to identify my weaknesses and improve my workplace performance by eliminating them. Hence, my reaction is simple, deeply analyze the criticism received, and improve your performance by ensuring that the issues are not repeated in your next or upcoming performance.
11. Name Three Best Software That Are Used In The Educational Institutions For The Purposes Of Administration and Management.
This question checks your level of acquaintance with the common software used in the education industry.
Sure, sir, These are:
- NLET School Management
- PowerVista RollCall
12. What Steps Will You Take To Enhace The Popularity Of Our School/College Among The Local Students?
This question tests your marketing skills and knowledge.
Sir, The best way to promote and attract a high number of admissions is by:
- Developing effective marketing plans, wherein we constantly update our website and inform the local students about our upcoming programs
- Engaging into Email and SMS marketing
- Starting extra curricular activities and programs
13. You Must Have Started Your Journey As A Teacher and Have Rose Through The Ranks To Become An Assistant Principal. In This Journey, You Must Have Worked With So Many Seniors and Bosses. Can You Describe Your Best and Worst Boss?
This is a trending interview question and is gradually gaining a lot of popularity in the interview segment. As an assistant principal, you must have worked with several senior teachers and principals at various schools and colleges. Some of them might have been really helpful to you, while others might have been really annoying or created problems for you. Through this question, an interviewer requires you to share the reason or the basis using which you segregate and categorize your good and bad bosses. Be specific, and never get carried away while narrating the bad part.
14. The Assistant Principals Are Usually Busy Professionals and Have To Perform Several Tasks In A Single Working Day. All These Tasks Usually Have A Deadline Date and Need To Submitted Timely. How Do You Achieve This?
Assistant principals not only have to implement the administrative policies but also have to review the performance of the teachers teaching in the school. In addition to these, assistant principals have to perform several other tasks as well that need to be executed in a single working day. These tasks must be appropriately ranked and ordered on the basis of a prioritization technique. As an ideal response to this question, just share the prioritization technique using which you rank your tasks.
15. What Are Your Strengths and Weaknesses As An Assistant Principal?
This is a common interview question, which requires you to analyze your personality and share your strengths as well as weaknesses. The best way to prepare an answer for this question is by analyzing the job description issued to you by the employer and noting down all the major requirements for the job of Assistant Principal. This will help you to share strengths that align with these requirements and weaknesses that do not conflict with them.
16. Working With Students and Enforcing Discipline Is A Challenging Task and When Done On A Daily Basis Can Lead To Severe Stress and Anxiety. How Do You Manage Your Negative Emotions and Stress?
Practicing discipline and constantly following a daily routine is the biggest hurdle in the life of every employee, no matter if you are even working at a position as high as an assistant principal. When employees lack appropriate techniques, it can lead to severe stress and develop a feeling of frustration, which seriously impacts workplace performance. Thus, an interviewer, through this question requests you to share a few techniques using which you are able to manage your stress levels.
17. There Are Several Job Openings Of Assistant Principals In Renowned Schools and Colleges. But, Why Did You Apply and Appear For An Interview Organized By Us?
It is common for employers to hire those employees that are really interested and devoted towards their vacancy as well as the organization. Through this question, an interviewer checks how serious you are for the organization you have applied with. In order to prepare a perfect reply, just browse the official website of the company and note down all the relevant facts and details. Compile these notings, and prepare a structured response.
18. The Career Of Every Professional Moves Through A Bumpy Road With Frequent Instances Of Success and Failure. The Latter Creates Negative Effects and Affect The Working. How Do You Manage Your Workplace Failures?
It would have been even hard to imagine a person, who has always succeeded in his or her life and never failed. As an assistant principal, there will always be times, when you will fail to meet the requirements of the management, despite giving your best. This creates a tough time for the employees wherein they feel neglected and experience low confidence. In such times, it is necessary for an employee to uplift himself using various techniques, which are asked for in this interview question. Meditation, yoga, positive pep talk, motivational counseling are some of the best ways to handle this situation.
19. What Are Your Salary Expectations?
It is common for the interviewers to ask about your salary expectations during the interview session itself. It is recommended that you always share a salary quote, which is based on the comprehensive research of the industry to which you belong. Like in the instant case, you must identify the salaries offered to the various assistant principals, who share a work experience similar to you. Calculate an average of these identified salaries and base your salary quote upon it.
20. When Can You Start Working With Us?
This is a non-technical interview question, in response to which you must share your date of start. Just consider the notice period and the expected time after which you will be released by your current employer. Use this data and share a genuine date of start.
21. Do You Have Any Questions For Us?
Be it the interview session of an assistant teacher or an assistant principal, every big day comes to an end after this interview question. This is the last question of every interview session and provides you the final opportunity to impress your interviewer. Hence, it is recommended that you always attempt this question and ask a few relevant counter questions from your interviewer that reflect your doubts and apprehensions, which you might be having in regards to the employer. Read out the model questions mentioned below for a better understanding:
- What are the monetary allowances and incentives, that are offered by the school/college to its assistant principal?
- How is your own experience in this educational institution? Can you share with me a few disadvantages of working here?
- Is it the policy of the company to offer paid leaves to its employees, especially in cases of medical emergencies?
Download the list of questions in .PDF format, to practice with them later, or to use them on your interview template (For Assistant Principal interview):
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari is the founder of PrepMyCareer.com website.
I am a full-time professional blogger, a digital marketer, and a trainer. I love anything related to the Web, and I try to learn new technologies every day.
All the team management, content creation, and monetization tasks are handled by me. Together with the team at PrepMyCareer, the aim is to provide useful and engaging content to our readers.