First of all many many congratulations on clearing your first round of interview. The screening round or first round is usually to filter out non serious and ineligible candidates. Since you have made it to the second interview, you have been judges as a person that possesses the skills and have the abilities that the organisation looking for.
But, this is not your destination. Your ultimate goal is to get your dream job, which would be available only after acing your second interview, which is far more difficult, challenging and comprehensive when compared with the screening round.
- 1 Expert Tips That Will Help You Ace Your Second Interview
- 1.1 1) Prepare Your Resume Thoroughly
- 1.2 2) Ask For The Time Table Of The Interview and Various Guidelines To Be Followed
- 1.3 3) Conduct A Deep Analysis And Thorough Research Of The Company
- 1.4 4) Prepare Well For Questions Designed To Check Your Analytical Skills and Intelligence
- 1.5 5) Prepare Your Introduction In A Smart Way
- 1.6 6) Properly Dress Yourself In Formals
- 1.7 6) Prepare A Few Questions For Your Employer
- 2 Conclusion
- 3 References
Expert Tips That Will Help You Ace Your Second Interview
1) Prepare Your Resume Thoroughly
Preparing a resume can be considered as a broad term, which covers almost all the aspects ranging from your educational qualifications to your work experience to your extracurricular activities. It has been observed that around seventy percent of the questions, that an interviewer asks, are directly or indirectly related to one’s resume. Hence, one must design his resume with proper guidance and utmost care.
After preparation of resume, one must prepare the core subjects of education that you have mentioned in your resume along with the duties that you have mentioned in your resume in the work experience column.
Preparation of Educational Qualifications and Work Experience Section
In order to check your knowledge and grasp on your core profile, questions will be asked from your educational background. Hence, preparing your core subjects becomes pivotal, in order to ace your interview. It has been observed, that interviewers like to mix some real-life scenarios with your core profile and then seek responses from you, like how would you deal with such a situation or how will you categorize this thing.
A case study has been designed so that you can understand it in a better way:
Mr. XYZ is a commerce graduate, who has done the course of certified financial planner(C.F.A), as an add-on. He graduated with good marks and has achieved a decent score in his CFA exams too.
|Possible questions||Model Responses|
|What do you mean about Private Equity?||Private equity investors are large institutional houses that invest in private companies, substantial sums of money, mostly to turnaround a company under pressure and distress.|
|Suppose, an organization has set apart a huge amount earmarking it as Liquidity funds, then where would you suggest to keep the money, in order to generate decent returns?||Keeping the returns in money markets is the safest way, to ensure decent returns along with the safety of capital. There are various money market instruments available, any of them could be suggested, after seeing the financial statements of the company|
|What are debentures?||Debentures are a way of raising debt capital, often issued through an initial public offer. They carry a fixed coupon rate which is applied on the face value of the instrument for the purposes of calculating interest liability payable by the company to the debenture holders.|
Mr. XYZ has worked under ABC LLP, as their investment manager and then joined YOU Investments as a senior investment analyst.
|Possible questions||Model Responses|
|How do you manage a debt focussed portfolio?||I will try to raise funds for the company using more debt instruments such as Debentures, External Commercial Borrowings, and Public Deposits. As per my experience with the organization, a 75:25 ratio in favor of debt would be ideal.|
|Would you suggest an established organisation to see its equity?||Raising equity capital is the cheapest source of funds for an organization ad there are no commitments attached. Although it would give away the ownership of the company, still it preserves an organization’s reserves. Hence, I would suggest them to consider this option.|
2) Ask For The Time Table Of The Interview and Various Guidelines To Be Followed
Usually, interviewers sends the time table, agenda and guidelines to be followed while conducting the interview, If he ir she hasn’t than don’t hesitate in asking one. The agenda usually consists of the following things:
- Complete address of the interview venue
- Name of your first contact
- name of the person who will be conducting your interview
- Approximate duration of the interview
- Gate closing time
- Dress code to be followed
- Information in relation to parking area
Becoming aware of these things, is necessary in order to be fresh, free and relaxed. Being in a relaxed state of mind, allows you to focus on your core things thereby helps in a smooth conduct of interview, increasing your efficiency manifolds.
3) Conduct A Deep Analysis And Thorough Research Of The Company
It is almost inevitable to encounter a few questions about the company. These questions would be asked from you in different ways such as:
- Why you applied to our organization?
- Why should we hire you?
- Why are you making a shift from your existing employer to us?
- What excites you about our organization?
Through these questions, an employer wants to evaluate your seriousness for the organization. They want to make sure, that once employed you will work with them for a considerable period of time and won’t just switch over. All these questions require you to explain the:
- Achievements of the company
- Mission and Vision statements
- Work culture
- State of infrastructure and technologies employed
- Goals of the organization etc.
This is possible only when you have a thorough understanding of a company. The best way to prepare this is by using the company’s website. Every organization updates its website regularly and can be a good source of obtaining valuable insights about your future employer.
4) Prepare Well For Questions Designed To Check Your Analytical Skills and Intelligence
Now a days it has been quite common, to ask questions that evaluates a person’s analytical skills and intelligence level apart from questions related to the core educational background. Preparing for such type of questions, is quite necessary, as they show how logical and reasoned you are. The way you answer these questions, demonstrate your ability to perform in situations that are tough, put of your comfort zone and not favorable to you. Some of these questions are illustrated below to give you a fair idea:
- How do you deal with failures in life?
- What would you choose between a minute hand and an hour hand? Explain the logic too?
- How do you control your anger?
- Happiness is a trait, Do you possess that?
- Suppose a member of your team has committed a blunder. How will you handle such a situation?
- How do you recover from a stressful day?
- What would you choose between family time and extended office time?
5) Prepare Your Introduction In A Smart Way
It is highly likely, that the first question which you will encounter would be ‘Tell me something about yourself. This is your first opportunity to impress an employer. As we all know, well begun is half done, a smart, thoughtful, and confident answer to this question will create an impressive and articulate image of yours in the mind of an interviewer.
Your sample response, must have everything ranging from your name, to your educational background, to the city you are currently living in.
A modest response should be on these lines:
My name is XYZ and I am from TTY City. I completed my schooling at YUI School and owing to the good performance I got UUI College for my higher education. Post this, I joined ABC LLP as ________________(enter name of your designation). I am a hardworking person and looking forward to joining your prestigious organization for the vacancy advertised.
6) Properly Dress Yourself In Formals
Dressing oneself properly is pivotal, especially while attending your second interview. A person dressed in a proper business suit with a tie shows that the concerned person respects himself and possesses faith in his skills and abilities.
No matter how good you are on your resume, those high grades and valuable work experiences won’t come in handy unless you dress properly. A professional look is what every employer is looking for, and you must thrive to fulfill their expectations.
6) Prepare A Few Questions For Your Employer
A general question that is beiong asked by every employer at the end of an intervioiew process goes like:
Do you have any questions for us?
Do you want to enquire from us about anything?
Always prepare some thoughtful, crisp, and to the point questions for your interviewer, Leaving this section unanswered can deplete your chances of selection considerably. Some of the best questions could be:
- Does my salary expectation match what the company wants to offer?
- How good are promotion opportunities in your organization?
- What are the incentives offered by the organization?
- What all do you do for the recreation of your employees?
- Does your organization allow working from home at special times?
- What extra benefits, do your company allows to its employees?
- Does your company has a separate women harassment cell?
Acing one’s second interview could be more challenging and daunting as compared to clearing one’s screening round. The level of questions is considerably raised and the interviewers are looking not only for your knowledge on the role offered but also your body language and communication skills. Acing a second interview requires a considerable amount of preparation after following the tips and guidelines on offer.
Nothing is impossible in this world and with proper grit and true determination, you can achieve your goals, including acing your second interview. If you like articles then don’t forget to share them with your family and friends. Also do let us know in the comments section, how much you like our articles.