It might be boring. Might lack the glamour and the praise. But, it is the heartbeat of every business organization that pumps blood and keeps it running. No more guessing and head-scratching, we are talking about business analysis. It is an established fact that seldom does an organization survive without proper analysis and assessment of the market conditions, sales, finance, and even its own human resources.
Thus, it is common for companies to hire business analysts and receive their services. These analysts are paid attractive pay packages and several lucrative incentives. If you are going for an interview session of business analyst never forget to read the interview questions mentioned below:
21 Best Interview Questions To Study
1. What Are The Possible Reasons For An Increase In The Production Cost Of The Company?
Being a business analyst, you will work in different spheres of management and will address all the business problems by analyzing the various factors that contribute to the cause.
Sir, there are various reasons for such increase, such as:
- An increase in the average labor rate, possibly due to successful negotiations in favor of the trade unions
- An increase in the raw material cost, possibly due to shortage, hoarding, or any other uncontrolled market force
- An increase in the transportation cost, due to an increase in concerning variables such as cost of drivers, delivery managers, fuel cost, etc.
2. How Can You Enhance The Revenue Of The Company, Given That The Company Is Not Willing To Invest In Advertising.
This question checks your practical working knowledge.
Sir, since the company is not interested in advertising, the revenue must be increased by:
- Strengthening the logistics system of the company
- Maintaining an aggressive sales approach and assigning strict targets to the sales representatives
- Engage in relationship building, and promote products using sales promotion tools
3. What Are The Various Factors On The Basis Of Which You Ascertain The Percentage Of Sales Growth?
This question checks your knowledge and understanding of core domain knowledge pertaining to business analysis.
Sure, sir, These are:
- The expectations of the company in the upcoming period, say next quarter or next accounting period
- The availability of sales representatives in the period for which assessments have to be made
- Past historical sales trends and the growth rates
- The approach of the organization, that is, aggressive, moderate or conservative
4. What Are Some Statistical Presentation Tools, and Which One Do You Prefer To Use At The Workplace?
This question checks your knowledge in relation to the various statistical presentation tools, which are used widely for presenting data and making conclusions.
Sir, pie charts, histograms, line charts, bar charts, regression lines, etc. are some common data presentation tools. I personally prefer to use Pie charts in my working, because it is easy to read, analyze, and depict all the variables considered in both degrees and percentages. Further, the advantage of denoting different pies using different colors makes it even more engaging and lucid.
5. Explain The Relevance Of Data In Business Analysis.
This question checks your understanding of the importance of data in your profession.
Sir, I wonder what would an analyst analyze in absence of data. The primary role of a business analyst is to analyze, assess, and draw inferences from the collected data. Without it, nothing is possible.
6. How Do You Predict the Future Sales Trends?
Being a business analyst, you will certainly be required to analyze the sales data of the company and generate reports on future sales trends. This question checks your practical working knowledge.
Sir, in my humble opinion, analysis of the historical sales data is the perfect way to analyze future sales. However, given the dynamic nature of the business environment in which the companies operate, relying solely on past data and not accounting for adjustments would be too naive. Hence, I always analyze the possible future risks as well, while predicting the sales trends.
7. What Is Your Perception Towards Negative Feedbacks and Criticisms?
This question checks your attitude and viewpoint towards criticisms received at the workplace.
Sir, most people get offended and feel bad after receiving negative feedbacks and criticisms. However, that is not the case with me. In my opinion, negative feedbacks are excellent ways to recognize your weaknesses. These not only help you to plug your loopholes but also ensure success, and growth at the workplace.
8. Name At Least Three Best Software Used For Busines Analysis.
This question checks your level of awareness and acquaintance with the technology, especially software.
Sure sir, these are:
- Zoho Projects
9. How Comforable Are You Working In Rotational Shifts?
Since your position is entry-level, you will most certainly be required to work in rotational shifts. This is a common expectation of the business organizations, hence answer positively.
Sir, I completely understand the relevance of this interview question. Being an established organization, there is definitely lots of work and tasks to be performed, that need employees for almost 24 hours. I am able and willing to work under rotational shifts. Further, I would not complain of any sudden change in shifts as well.
10. Describe Your Best Boss and Worst Boss.
This is a trending interview question, which is rapidly catching the attention of the interviewers. We all work in different business organizations and meet several bosses and seniors. Given their different characteristics and attributes, we categorize our bosses as good or bad. Through this question, an interviewer wants to know the basis or the reason which led you to categorize your bosses into these two categories.
11. Not Every Analysis Can Hit The Bull’s Eye. How Do You Manage Your Failures?
Success is not a one-time affair, but it is definitely not consistent either. Humans are bound to face failure at some point in time no matter how much hard work they put in. Despite this, failure is simply unmanageable for most of us and leaves a devastating impact upon human minds. It not only crushes the confidence level of the employees but also impacts their present performance at the workplace. Thus, an interviewer is always interested in knowing the strategies and techniques that you adopt to manage your work-related failures.
12. What In Your Opinion Is A Quality Busines Analysis?
This question basically requires you to interpret the term “quality”. Usually, quality is achieved in business operations when an employee is able to perform the tasks as per the established business standards/benchmarks and is able to meet all the requirements and expectations of the customers. Be specific, and use persuasive language while answering this interview question.
13. Business Analysis Is A Number Crunching Work, Which Can Lead To Stress and Might Overstretch You. How Do You Manage Stress At The Workplace?
It is common for the employees working in a business organization to feel the heat of never-ending business tasks and eventually get stressed out. This impacts the performance of the employees and while being in this phase they usually deliver sub-standard performances. Thus, an interviewer, through this question, requires you to share a few techniques using which you are able to manage your stress levels.
14. How Do You Prefer To Work – In A Team or Individually?
It is common for business organizations nowadays to divide their tool pool of human resources on the basis of their education levels, skills, and the nature of tasks to be performed. This division translates into business teams, which have their own set of goals and objectives to be accomplished. Through this question, an interviewer wants to know your preferred mode of working. Considering the present trend, always choose “team”.
15. As A Business Analyst, You Will Be Required To Perform Several Tasks In A Single Working Day. How Do You Prioritize?
This is a common interview question, in which your prioritization technique is being demanded. Commonly, employees prefer to arrange their business tasks on the basis of any of the following:
- Difficult level of the task
- Expected time consumption in performing the task
- Urgency level of the task
If you have a different strategy, you can always choose it. But make sure that you are able to explain it using suitable examples, preferably relating to your real work experience.
16. Describe Yourself In One Word.
This is a personality evaluation interview question in which you are required to summarize your entire personality into a single word. The best way to answer this question is by analyzing the job description and noting down the requisite major attributes. Post this, just make sure that your single word aligns with those major requirements. For the post of business analyst, these words are most suitable, analytical, out-of-the-box thinker, innovative, creative, critical examiner, etc.
17. What Are Your Salary Expectations?
This is a non-technical interview question that requires you to share your expected salary bracket. It is recommended that you always share a salary figure that is based on some serious and comprehensive market research of the industry to which you belong. During the research, try assessing the salaries offered to similar professionals and calculate an average salary. As an ideal response, always share a salary bracket that is based on this average salary.
18. What Are You Strength and Weaknesses?
This is a common interview question and is asked in almost all the interview sessions held across the world. The best way to answer this question is by analyzing the job description and noting down all its requirements. Post this, try to share strengths that align with those requirements and the weaknesses that do not conflict with them.
19. We Understand That You Have Applied To Several Business Organizations. But, Why You Chose Us?
This question checks your seriousness and commitment towards the business organization you sought to work with. The best way to prepare for this interview question is by browsing the official website of the company and noting down all the relevant facts, historical achievements, and accomplishments of the company. Post this, compile and draft a structured answer after adding your own personal interests.
20. When Can You Start Working With Us?
This question requires you to share a genuine date on or after which you can start working with the business organization. This question does not guarantee your selection, rather requires you to only share your availability. Further, it is also true that immediate starters are always preferred, but always make it a point to share a genuine date of start.
21. Do You Have Any Questions For Us?
Be it an interview session for hiring managers belonging to the top-level of the hierarchy or be it for employing entry-level employees, this question concludes all of them. This is preferably the last interview question, which requires you to share all your doubts and apprehensions that you might be having in regards to the business organization, its working culture, its ethics, etc. It is recommended that you always attempt this question and ask a few relevant counter-questions on the basis of the model questions mentioned below:
- How comfortable are you in working for this organization?
- What are the timings that are followed by the company in its various shifts?
- What are the incentives and allowances that are offered by the company to its employees?
Table of Contents
- 1 21 Best Interview Questions To Study
- 1.1 1. What Are The Possible Reasons For An Increase In The Production Cost Of The Company?
- 1.2 2. How Can You Enhance The Revenue Of The Company, Given That The Company Is Not Willing To Invest In Advertising.
- 1.3 3. What Are The Various Factors On The Basis Of Which You Ascertain The Percentage Of Sales Growth?
- 1.4 4. What Are Some Statistical Presentation Tools, and Which One Do You Prefer To Use At The Workplace?
- 1.5 5. Explain The Relevance Of Data In Business Analysis.
- 1.6 6. How Do You Predict the Future Sales Trends?
- 1.7 7. What Is Your Perception Towards Negative Feedbacks and Criticisms?
- 1.8 8. Name At Least Three Best Software Used For Busines Analysis.
- 1.9 9. How Comforable Are You Working In Rotational Shifts?
- 1.10 10. Describe Your Best Boss and Worst Boss.
- 1.11 11. Not Every Analysis Can Hit The Bull’s Eye. How Do You Manage Your Failures?
- 1.12 12. What In Your Opinion Is A Quality Busines Analysis?
- 1.13 13. Business Analysis Is A Number Crunching Work, Which Can Lead To Stress and Might Overstretch You. How Do You Manage Stress At The Workplace?
- 1.14 14. How Do You Prefer To Work – In A Team or Individually?
- 1.15 15. As A Business Analyst, You Will Be Required To Perform Several Tasks In A Single Working Day. How Do You Prioritize?
- 1.16 16. Describe Yourself In One Word.
- 1.17 17. What Are Your Salary Expectations?
- 1.18 18. What Are You Strength and Weaknesses?
- 1.19 19. We Understand That You Have Applied To Several Business Organizations. But, Why You Chose Us?
- 1.20 20. When Can You Start Working With Us?
- 1.21 21. Do You Have Any Questions For Us?
- 2 References