Management is one of the most crucial elements for securing the success and growth of an organization, without which an enterprise will free fall into the realms of uncertainty without adequate armory and a depleted arsenal. Efficient management not only ensures compliance with the rules and regulations of the land but also gives direction, progressive visions, and achievable missions to an organization, following which it can prosper and satisfy its customers. Management is done by the managers, and such is the influence of a manager in a business organization that its role is often seen similar to that of a minister aiding a king. He or she is the essence of a company responsible for planning, coordinating, and marketing.
Performing such an influential role comes with additional responsibilities, commitments, and burdens. This is the primary reason why managers are often compensated adequately with lucrative salaries and incentives. Managerial positions and openings often garner a huge interest from a wide variety of qualified professionals, which makes the selection process even more tough and sincere. A candidate aspiring to become a manager must prepare sincerely and seriously for the open positions by studying frequently asked questions.
Best 21 Interview Questions To Study
1) How Will You Forecast The Sales Of Our Organization? Explain Any One Technique.
Being a manager you are supposed to plan and for effective planning, you need to contemplate the future using forecasting. This question tests your ability and understanding of the forecasting techniques available in the market. Just share the forecasting technique you are most comfortable with, in a detailed yet abridged manner.
Sir, there are various techniques used to forecast sales, revenue, expenses, costs, etc of an organization. In all the techniques the financial data is used to forecast and see the future. The best way, in my humble opinion, is to use historical data of the sales and then calculate a growth rate, with a variation margin of 1% to 3%. Using the same growth rate, I can compute the forecasted or future sales of the organization for say next 5 years or 10 years.
2) Explain The Importace Of Trend Analysis?
This question tests your grip and hold, on your core managerial concepts and knowledge.
Sir, business organizations operate in a highly competitive as well as dynamic business environment. Hence, it is necessary to always be vigilant and analyze the trends prevailing in the industry as well as the business organization. Trend analysis is a technique to analyze the future movements of a given variable, post analyzing the historical data associated. Analyzing trends can help a business organization, to gain a competitive advantage over other business organizations, due to better decision making.
3) What Are The Various Factors That Lead To An Ineffective Forecast?
This question tests your understanding of the methods and procedures involved in forecasting.
Forecasting is a complex technique, wherein a manager tries to see the future and based on the forecast tries to frame policies and rules. There are various factors, that can lead to an ineffective forecast, such as:
- Defective Samples: Forecasting is based on hisrtorical data compiled by a business organization. This is the first step in forecasting and a sample marred by inconsistencies or inflated/deflated values, can lead to inappropariate and misleading forecasting.
- Excessive Discretion: While calculating growth rate of an organization, it is necessary that, a manager always uses his or her discretion in a juicious and controlled manner. This would lead to better analysis as well generation of better future data.
- Arithmetical Error: Forecasting involves mathematical calculations and even a small error, can lead to a higher estimation, often generating data that is not accurate and precise.
4) How Will You Manage An Organization’s Surplus Funds?
Being a manager, you will most probably be required to handle projects and take financial decisions in consultation with the finance department. Hence, always try to answer this question logically and engagingly.
Money is the lifeline of any business and managers are required to keep the surplus funds of an organization safe and secure. I will always try to invest the surplus funds as per the need and expectations of the organization. I case the organization expects to use the fund in the immediate future, I would put in a Liquid Fund, and in case an organization wants to invest it for a longer duration then I would prefer to invest it in hybrid funds.
5) How Will You Handle A Situation, In Which You Have To Deal With A Disgruntled Customer?
This is a common interview question through which an interviewer wants to know your perception and approach towards handling discontent customers of the organization.
Usually, managers have to handle some of the worst situations. I feel, I am ready and up for this challenge. In order to satisfy a disgruntled customer, I would initially listen to their problems effectively in a calm and composed manner, using my active listening skills. Post this, I would use my critical thinking skills and analytical ability to extend an effective resolution to them. In most probable conditions, I would be able to convince them, otherwise, I would try my level best to close the deal, by remaining within the ambit of my powers.
6) How Effective Is Delegation Of Powers?
This question tests your core principles of managerial studies and behavior.
First of all, I would like to say, that delegation is a wonderful technique, if used wisely, you can run even an organization having more than a billion employees. In absence of delegation, you would most probably see a promoter, signing all the cheques, framing policies, and at the same time marketing goods. This would be too much for a single person to handle and I believe that this would not only hamper the speed of processes but would also undermine the effectiveness of the processes. Hence, a delegation of powers by hiring trustworthy employees is an absolute necessity to ensure survival and growth.
7) Explain The Concept Of Goal Congruence?
This question tests your knowledge and grip on the core concepts of management and administration of employees.
Goal congruence is a concept that emphasizes upon tallying and coinciding the individual goals of the different employees working in the organization with the larger and wider organizational goals. It is essential to do so, as this gives a sense of satisfaction among the employees and they feel that their employer respects their personal needs. This enables employees of an organization, to work with more sincerity and focus, with a prime objective of executing tasks in a time-bound manner.
8) When Can You Start?
It is common for interviewers to ask this question during the interview session itself. Through this question, an interviewer simply wants to get a quote of your availability. Yet, this interview question is crucial, as after listening to this, some feel that they are on the verge of selection and get overexcited, ruining the rest of the interview process. Hence, it is advised that you control your emotions as this question does not guarantee your selection in any manner whatsoever.
- For Employed Individuals: Sir, I am currently working with an employer and hence I will not be able to join on an immediate basis. However, I am planning to send a notice to them soon, and after 14 days, I will be able to receive my relieving letter. Adding two days of buffer, I feel, I can join your organization on or after, (___mention the date of your joining____)
- For Freshers/Unemployed Individuals: Sir, I have the capacity to join the organization on an immediate basis, because I am currently not working anywhere and do not have any prior commitment to fulfill.
9) What Do You Understand By Departmentalization?
This question tests your knowledge and grip on the core concepts of management and organizational structure.
Developed business organizations, usually operate through several business processes. For Example, Miscrosoft Inc. is a multinational corporation that has several departments, handling unique business processes, such as Finance, Marketing, Production, Research, etc. Departmentalization helps an organization to achieve efficiency and proficiency in its operations, because of better focus and hiring of specialized professionals. This not only helps an organization to reap the benefits of synergies but also gets benefitted through the presence of satisfied employees.
10) What Motivates You To Work?
Through this question, an interviewer wants to know the primary motivational factors that enable you to push your limits and work hard on a daily basis.
Motivation is something, that is necessary for all the people working and engaged in repetitive tasks. This is usually subjective and differs from person to person, as it is largely based on an individual’s circumstances, desires, and living conditions. For me, my desire to progress my career and get widespread recognition from my colleagues is the biggest motivational factor, that always pushes me to work hard and achieve all my targets in a time-bound manner.
11) Explain The Importance Of Ethical Codes Of Conduct?
This question tests your understanding of the key attributes of an efficient manager.
Codes of conduct are basically the rules and guidelines that are basically meant for employees of an organization to maintain a healthy work environment. These ensure that employees of a company do not engage themselves in unethical activities such as harassment, eve-teasing, bullying, calling names, etc. as these can severely impact the performance of an individual employee. Being a manager, it is his or her prime task to take cognizance of such activities immediately and take appropriate actions.
12) Name At Least Two Presentation Techniques.
This question tests your understanding of the various tools used to represent data and numbers.
Sure sir. I would like to name the two most widely followed and used presentation techniques, which are:
- Histogram and
- Pie chart
13) Can You Handle Pressures Of Deadlines and Huge Volumes Of Work?
This is a common interview question through which an interviewer wants to know your attitude and approach towards working in hectic business conditions and atmosphere.
Yes sir absolutely, I have the ability to work under stressful working conditions with efficiency and ensuring productivity. For this, I always maintain my physical level of fitness by engaging myself in strength training exercises for at least 3 days a week. Along with this, I always maintain my focus and concentration by performing meditation daily. Be assured, I am capable enough to handle work pressures and related stress.
14) What Is Effective Leadership?
This question tests your understanding of the key attributes of an efficient manager.
Leadership is closely associated with guiding people. At a workplace, a manager is most probably responsible for helping his or her team as well as colleagues by acting as a source of light, shining bright, to provide knowledge, guidance, and the right advice. In my humble opinion, effective leadership is nothing but a selfless service wherein you have to achieve the goals of the organization by ensuring that your team is productive and superior.
15) What Is The Role Of Attitude and Confidence In Ensuring Success Of An Organization?
This question tests your understanding of the key attributes of an efficient manager.
In my humble opinion, I consider no differentiation between attitude and confidence. These are one and the same thing. I do not consider or relate attitude with showing tantrums or swag. Both represent a high level of self-confidence for me, which is possible only when you have a profound faith in your own skills and abilities. These two are really important in writing the success story of an organization.
16) Rate Your Proficiency Level On Advanced MS Excel On A Scale Of One To Five.
With the pervasive use of technology by business organizations, these questions seem to be inevitable in an interview session. Hence, always prepare technology-related questions in a brief but logical manner.
Sir, I have hands-on experience in MS Excel and I am completely aware of all the crucial and vital formulas, such as Vlookup and Pivot charts, etc. that are helpful in delivering an impactful and engaging presentation. Owing to my extensive knowledge in the field, I would like to rate myself near to perfection and would give myself a 4.9.
17) Why You Chose Us?
This is a common interview question through which an interviewer wants to evaluate your level of seriousness and commitment towards the organization. This is basically done to ensure that the attrition rate of the organization remains on the lower side.
Being an organization with more than 50,000 loyal customers and operations spread in almost 24 countries, it is absolutely a no-brainer to work with you. The state-of-the-art infrastructure and presence of effective employee-centric policies motivate me and entices me towards working for this prestigious organization. In addition to this, I am deeply attracted to your obsession with the usage of modern technologies and techniques in executing tasks. I believe this would help me to improve my individual performance and will also grant me wider exposure.
18) If You Were An Animal, What Would You Be?
This is a tricky interview question, which requires in-depth knowledge of the various animals that possess some unique qualities and attributes. A perfect answer to this question can leave a long-lasting impact on an interviewer, and hence we recommend that you prepare this question with all passion and zeal.
Without any disrespect to other animals, insects, and birds, If God ever gave me a chance, I would have chosen to become honeybees. Honeybees are the most hardworking creatures on the planet always minding their own business and involved in something productive every single second of the day. Their unmatched determination, passion for their work and perseverance, inspires me and gives me motivation, to replicate their strength and endurance at my own workplace.
This is a trending interview question, through which an interviewer wants to judge your personality and your ability to overcome bad experiences in life.
Everyone has their own ups and downs in life and the same thing follows with me too. During my previous employment, there was a time when I was entrusted with a fairly new project, upon which there was a very low level of understanding in the entire organization. Being a person always ready to accept challenges and tough situations, I almost immediately accepted the proposal. But to my dismay and surprise, to be honest, I worked pathetically on that particular project, due to which my previous organization suffered huge losses and got entangled itself in a legal battle. This led to widespread criticism of mine and this is surely the lowest point of my professional career.
This is a common interview question thorough which an interviewer wants to know your level of self-understanding and awareness. In order to effectively answer this question, you are requested to answer in a positive manner, post creation of a written report, which mentions and explains at least two of your best strengths.
Yes, sir, I do have. Due to constraints of time, I will mention my closest strength. I am a person having a gifted ability to make informed decisions even in times of distress and disturbances. This is basically, due to my ability to absorb pressure and hold my nerves. This ability of mine comes naturally to me from my father, who was a professional athlete. I hope to replicate the same and even hone my other skills while contributing to your esteemed organization during my tenure.
21) Do You have Any Questions For Us?
It is a common habit of interviewers to conclude an interview session using this question, which gives an opportunity to the candidate to ask a few questions from the interviewer related to the organization, the job profile, work timings, etc. It is wonderful to shoot a few relevant questions towards the person grilling you since the start of an interview session. It is highly advisable that you do not miss this question and respond professionally so as to boost your chances of selection.
- What are the various benefits offered by the company to its employees?
- How effectively does the organization focuses upon the anti-harassment and anti-bullying policies to stop unethical activities at the workplace?
- Please exlain the calculation of leave travel compensation extended by your organization.
- Does the organization extends maternity/paternity paid leaves to its employees?
- What are the work timings?
- What are the overtime allowances offered by the company?
Table of Contents
- 1 Best 21 Interview Questions To Study
- 1.1 1) How Will You Forecast The Sales Of Our Organization? Explain Any One Technique.
- 1.2 2) Explain The Importace Of Trend Analysis?
- 1.3 3) What Are The Various Factors That Lead To An Ineffective Forecast?
- 1.4 4) How Will You Manage An Organization’s Surplus Funds?
- 1.5 5) How Will You Handle A Situation, In Which You Have To Deal With A Disgruntled Customer?
- 1.6 6) How Effective Is Delegation Of Powers?
- 1.7 7) Explain The Concept Of Goal Congruence?
- 1.8 8) When Can You Start?
- 1.9 9) What Do You Understand By Departmentalization?
- 1.10 10) What Motivates You To Work?
- 1.11 11) Explain The Importance Of Ethical Codes Of Conduct?
- 1.12 12) Name At Least Two Presentation Techniques.
- 1.13 13) Can You Handle Pressures Of Deadlines and Huge Volumes Of Work?
- 1.14 14) What Is Effective Leadership?
- 1.15 15) What Is The Role Of Attitude and Confidence In Ensuring Success Of An Organization?
- 1.16 16) Rate Your Proficiency Level On Advanced MS Excel On A Scale Of One To Five.
- 1.17 17) Why You Chose Us?
- 1.18 18) If You Were An Animal, What Would You Be?
- 1.19 19) Share Your Lowest Point In Your Professional Career.
- 1.20 20) Do You Have Any Strength? If Yes, Please Share.
- 1.21 21) Do You have Any Questions For Us?
- 2 References