With the existence of more and more profitable business organizations, engaging themselves in the manufacturing of a variety of consumer products and provision of public services, there is a necessity, pre-requisite, and urgency to maintain the image of the organization in the keen eyes of the public at large. For this purpose, business organizations hire a specialized professional, usually gifted with the gab, so as to maintain and manage the reputation of the organization among its customers. This specialized professional is usually recognized by the name of a Public Relations Officer and often commands a high level of respect and recognition in the general society.
21 Best Interview Questions To Study
1) How Can You Maintain Positivity During A Press Conference?
A press conference of an organization usually consists of several questions that are critical in nature and expose some of the weaknesses of the organization. Being a public relations officer you are supposed to answer each and every question in a positive manner.
Maintaining a calm and positive attitude is of utmost necessity during a press conference. This not only helps a media officer to remain disciplined and respectful but also allows him or her to deliver some impressive answers. In order to do so, I would never get irritate or frustrated by a media question. Rather, I would try to answer the question in a composed and tranquil manner, by focusing primarily on the structure of the answer. This would help me to maintain the decorum of the press conference which usually turns into a farce.
2) What Is Your Knowledge Of Designing Advertisement Campaigns?
Being a public relations officer you will be supposed to play an active part in designing, appealing and informative advertisement banners conveying a strong message to the customers of the company. Hence, you are supposed to have some basic knowledge of the digital as well as traditional marketing.
Sir, I have extensive knowledge of both the types of marketing and have even undertook a six months training in the same field. The first and foremost thing that I consider while designing an advertisement campaign is that, the marketing strategy as well the content, must not hurt the sentiments or beliefs of a particular community in regards to religion, caste or creed. In addition to this, I strictly convey to the marketing agencies of our requirement, to not incorporate any misleading or deceptive information in the advertisement banners, having the ability to destroy the image of our brand.
3) Imagine A Situation In Which You Are The Public Relations Officer Of A Broke Company. How Will You Address The Protesting Mob Of Investors?
The role of a public relations officer is challenging as well as demanding. It is the principal duty of a public relation officer to manage the camaraderie and maintain the reputation of the organization in the media and public, at all the costs.
Sir, I completely understand the relevance of this question. If I will ever encounter such a situation, I would first try to relax the mob of investors by saying that each and every one of the investors of the company would be able to get their money back as the loans advanced by the company are asset backed. Then I would say, the organization is striving hard to recover all the loans and dues which are stuck at the reciever’s end due to a variety of issues. I request you to repose your faith in the organization and you would soon see all of you getting paid at the earliest.
4) How Efficient Are Your Drafting Skills?
Drafting impressive and efficient masterpieces is the primary skill that a public relation officer must possess. Through this question an interviewer wants to know your level of faith and belief in your own skills.
Sir, I would like to state with greatest strength at my command, that I have some superior and excellent writing skills, having the ability to completely reveal the state of affairs of the organization. I have an adorable vocabulary base and lucid artistic flow enabling me to create some impressive business communications.
5) Tell Me How Will You Write A Press Release In Respect Of A Recently Concluded Board Meeting?
This question tests your knowledge in relation to the practical working procedures.
Sir, In order to write a press release for a recently concluded board meeting, I would first like to scrutinize the minutes of the board meeting. This usually takes me 2 to 3 hours, and in this time I jot down all the important decisions that have been taken in the board meeting. Than, it is my habit to always explain the decisions taken, with a logic or a brief background which compelled the honorable board members to take that decision. Further, I always try to maintain a balance between advocacy and objectivity while preparing a press release.
6) Which Newspaper Do You Follow On A Regular Basis and Why?
Being a public relation officer you ought to have a complete understanding of the latest and most recent economic developments happening in the nation. Organizations usually operate in a dynamic business environment and there are always some serious threats to the business from environmental and political conditions.
Sir, I always read (____mention the name of your newspaper____) in order to keep myself abreast of all the latest developments and happenings. This not only helps me to assess the impact on my employer organization but also enable me to prepare answers for prospective media questions that will be asked from me in a future press conference.
7) The Directors Of An Organization Want You To Deliver and Present A Manipulated Media Report. How Would You Handle Such A Situation?
This is a personality evaluating question having the ability to judge your ethics, morales, honesty and integrity. It is true that you are the employee of the organization and you must remain loyal to them, but too much loss of integrity, might pose serious questions on your character and self respect. hence, try to respond in a balanced way.
Sir, I believe that I would never be stuck in a similar situation while working for this profitable and respectable organization. But still, If I ever encounter such a situation I would choose the middle way. There is no doubt that I am an honest person and do no want to mislead anyone. But at the same time, I am a loyal and committed employee of an organization too. If the manipulated information does not have any mass effect and does not lead to any monetary loss for any person whether living or artificial, than I would deliver whatever the organization wants me to.
8) How Aware Are You Of PR Crisis and How Would You Handle It?
This question tests your knowledge and understanding of the core principles of efficient public relations.
Sir, I have great and deep knowledge of the PR Crisis. It refers to a situation in which the intergtity and reputation of the organization is at stake due to the happening of some unidentified and unexpected events. For example, some serious allegations of fraud by a private news website. Such situations immediately make the organization stand in the light of shame and hence it is necessary to refute all such allegations as soon as possible. In order to do so, I first analyze the situation completely and than verify the source of such unscrupulous activities. Post this, I consult with the management and on the basis of discussion I prepare a exhaustive media report rejecting each and every allegation using rationales and facts.
9) Name At Least Two Skills That Are A Must For A Public Relations Officer To Possess?
This question tests your level of understanding of the nature and essence of being a public relation officer.
Sure sir. In my humble opinion these are:
- Excellent Communication and writing skills
- Critical thinking and ability to manoeuvre
10) Which Book Have You Read Recently?
The role of a public relations officer is quite intellectual and you are supposed to have a strong grip on literature and English as well as the vernacular language. Hence, you are ought to be interested in reading books. It is highly advised to mention books that contribute to your overall nature and attitude instead of mentioning books related to adult comedy or romance.
Sir, I am a vivid reader and love to read a lot of books. Recently, I have completed (_____mention the name of your book____). This book has positively influenced my attitude and has enhanced my self confidence. Now I feel more confident in executing a particular task and more importantly this book has taught me a way so as to approach a particular situation.
11) Name Five Best Marketing Mediums As Per Your Personal Preference.
Being a PR manager you are most probably be required to market the goods and producer of the organization. Hence, having a phenomenal knowledge of the marketing is inevitable.
Sure sir, These are:
- Print Media
- Social Media Sites
- Billboards, especially on modes of transport
- Popular websites and mobile applications
12) Can You Handle Work Pressure and Hectic Working Conditions?
This is a common interview question through which an interviewer wants to know your attitude and perception towards working in stressful and uncomfortable working environment.
Absolutely sir. I have the ability to handle high volumes of work every day and owing to my superior concentration and focus, I can work with productivity in even the most challenging work environment. Be assured, I would never get distracted from my duties and would always deliver exceptional work related performance.
13) How Will You Fight With A Lion For Our Organization?
There would always be some questions in an interview session which would have the ability to astonish and amaze you. You will really feel unsettled and uncomfortable after listening to these questions as you have probably not even heard of them before. But, through this article, we guide you to be ready to face such situations and work upon your critical thinking.
Sir, fighting with Lions could be a dangerous thing to do and in a quest of doing so, I believe, you would loose out an asset. Still, being a committed and loyal employee of the organization, I would fight with a lion, only if it is caged and tied with strong iron chains.
14) Have You Applied With Our Rivals?
This is a tricky question which ought to check your honesty and integrity. Every interviewer knows that you have applied with their rival organizations so as to improve your selection chances. Hence, do not worry and just respond with a genuine answer.
To be honest, yes sir I have applied at 4 other similar organizations, so as to break the shackles of unemployment and to improve my selection chances. But, I would like to state that, I am really interested in working for this organization, and this company is at the top of my list.
15) How Do You Like To Present Your Press Release?
This question tests your knwodge and understanding of the manner in which you would like present the facts of a particular board meeting.
Sir, the facts presented in a press release must be crisp, concise and revealing in nature. The content mentioned in a release must contain all the vital decisions and resolutions that have been taken in the meeting. Further, a public relations officer must strive to present the facts and relevant information through bullets, points, charts and graphs, so as to enable a better and complete understanding. Further, efforts must be laid to prevent and minimize personal discretion while presenting the facts.
16) Explain At Least Two Legal Challenges In Electronic Marketing?
Being a public relations officer you will be supposed to play an active part in designing appealing and informative advertisement banners conveying a strong message to the customers of the company. Hence, you are supposed to have some basic knowledge of the digital as well as traditional marketing.
With the advent of technology there is a gradual but steady shift towards digital marketing instead of using the traditional means of communication with the customers. This has prompted several legal challenges in the field. The two challenges I would like to state are:
- Firstly, a marketing agency must not use any trademarked, patented or coyrighted material while designing their advertisement banners, as this could lead to legal issues for the organzation in relation to copyright infringement.
- Secondly, do not engege yourself in privacy preservation practices. Stealing information from the social media accounts of the company and usung it to prepare and design accurate advertisement campaigns leads to violation of privacy clauses and rights.
17) How Do You Address The Balance Between Objectivity and Transparency?
This is a job specific interview question which would test your knowledge in relation to the practical working procedures.
Sir, maintaining such a balance is vital and important to maintain the reputation of the organization in the common eyes of the public. Being a public relations officer, neither am I supposed to shell out each and every information related to the business of the organization and nor should I hide or omit vital facts. Hence, there should be a proper balance between transparency as well as objectivity. In order to do so, I first of all carefully analyze the question asked, post which I am able to devise a balanced answer, which not even compromises upon the facts as well as do not reveal trade secrets.
18) What Motivates You To Work?
This is a common interview question through which an interviewer wants to know what motivates you to work hard and push your limits while working at a workplace. The motivational factors are different for different individuals and depend largely upon the individual circumstances and situations. Hence, try to be as genuine as possible and completely avoid any generic answer.
Sir, I am a person who loves to get recognition and promotions at my workplace. These are the two most compelling motivational factors for me that motivates me to work hard and persevere at my workplace so as to achieve the organizational goals. Both recognition and promotions are directly dependent on each other and go hand in hand. These are possible only when I am able to meet the expectations of my seniors and execute all the tasks and duties in a time bound manner.
19) Why You Chose Us?
This is a common interview question which enables an interviewer to analyze and understand your level of seriousness and commitment towards the organization. The best source to prepare for this question is through the official website of the organization which is often kept updated and up to the mark.
Being a successful public relation agency, managing more than 5,000 listed organizations, and operations spread in more than 18 countries, it is a dream work place for any public relations officer. The working culture adopted by the company fully equipped with the latest and modern technologies not only helps in the enhancement of the skillset but also helps in a wider overall development. I believe, this organization has the ability to shape my future in an adorable way, and I am really interested to be a part of the workforce.
20) What Is Your Major Strength?
This is a common interview question using which an interview wants to know your level of self awareness and self understanding. This question appears in almost all the interview sessions held across the world and must be prepared in a sincere manner.
Sir, I believe I have the ability to draft excellent speeches and impressive business communications, better than most of my peers and colleagues. This is my one of the major strengths, which would immensely help me in executing my daily tasks and duties in a proficient manner. In addition to this, I am a disciplined and hardworking individual who always want to work with all my passion, labor and zeal so as to achieve one common goal, and that is development and progress of the organization.
21) Do You Have Any Questions For Us?
Be it an interview session for the post of an engineer, or be it for an accounts officer. This is the last question which is usually asked by an interviewer from the candidate at the fag end of an interview session. This question enables a candidate to ask a few questions from the interviewer in relation to the organization, its work timings, the various policies and practices adopted by the organization, etc. This is a chance to clear all your organization-related doubts from the interviewer itself. The candidates must strive to not lose this wonderful opportunity.
- What are the work timings of the organization?
- What are the various overtime allowances extended by the company to its employees?
- Please enumerate the procedures and rules which the organization follows in order to calculate the paid leaves of the employees.
- Is it the organization’s policy to offer paternity/maternity leaves to its employees?
- What are the various health insurances and benefits offered by the company to its employees?
Table of Contents
- 1 21 Best Interview Questions To Study
- 1.1 1) How Can You Maintain Positivity During A Press Conference?
- 1.2 2) What Is Your Knowledge Of Designing Advertisement Campaigns?
- 1.3 3) Imagine A Situation In Which You Are The Public Relations Officer Of A Broke Company. How Will You Address The Protesting Mob Of Investors?
- 1.4 4) How Efficient Are Your Drafting Skills?
- 1.5 5) Tell Me How Will You Write A Press Release In Respect Of A Recently Concluded Board Meeting?
- 1.6 6) Which Newspaper Do You Follow On A Regular Basis and Why?
- 1.7 7) The Directors Of An Organization Want You To Deliver and Present A Manipulated Media Report. How Would You Handle Such A Situation?
- 1.8 8) How Aware Are You Of PR Crisis and How Would You Handle It?
- 1.9 9) Name At Least Two Skills That Are A Must For A Public Relations Officer To Possess?
- 1.10 10) Which Book Have You Read Recently?
- 1.11 11) Name Five Best Marketing Mediums As Per Your Personal Preference.
- 1.12 12) Can You Handle Work Pressure and Hectic Working Conditions?
- 1.13 13) How Will You Fight With A Lion For Our Organization?
- 1.14 14) Have You Applied With Our Rivals?
- 1.15 15) How Do You Like To Present Your Press Release?
- 1.16 16) Explain At Least Two Legal Challenges In Electronic Marketing?
- 1.17 17) How Do You Address The Balance Between Objectivity and Transparency?
- 1.18 18) What Motivates You To Work?
- 1.19 19) Why You Chose Us?
- 1.20 20) What Is Your Major Strength?
- 1.21 21) Do You Have Any Questions For Us?
- 2 Sample Questions
- 3 References