“Data” is a word, which is so common, yet it is so tough to interpret. It is a proven fact that businesses, governments, and research houses that have learned the value and power of data, have often tasted success owing to faultless decisions making.
Data analytics has grown into a specialized field, wherein several statisticians and analysts examine the collected data to make research reports besides writing the thesis. These documents often act as the foundation for making public policies, business decisions, and various necessary reforms.
Hence, the role of a statistician can be considered to be more of an investigator, wherein s/he is required to collect, interpret and analyze the data. With ample employment opportunities at reputed organizations, it is high time that you prepared for your upcoming interview session by reading all the frequently asked interview questions.
21 Best Interview Questions To Study
1. What Are The Different Values Of Critical Value of “Z” At Different Levels Of Significance In A Two Tailed Test?
This question tests your understanding of the various critical values of Z in a two-tailed test.
Sir, these values can be observed in the following manner:
|Level of Significance||Values of Z|
2. Share Some Benefits Of Data Analytics? Answer From the Context Of Business.
This question tests how much you understand and measure the importance of data analytics.
Sir, data analytics has seeped deeply into the working of business organizations, wherein almost all are analyzing the data. This is primarily because of the several advantages that it offers, which are:
- Improves productivity as it helps in implementing various reforms
- Mitigates risk as it helps to forecast the future business environment
- Helps in developing relevant products and customizable services
- Helps in achieving customer satisfaction
- Enhances growth in revenue and improves profitability
3. What Is The Critical Value Of “Z” For A Left-Tailed Test With α = 0.01 and For One Tailed Test With α = 0.05?
This question tests your understanding of the various critical values of Z at varying levels of standard deviation in a left-tailed and one-tailed test.
Sir, the correct answers are:
|Type of test||Standard Deviations||Critical values|
|Critical Value Of “Z” For A Left-Tailed Test||α = 0.01||-2.33|
|Critical Value Of “Z” For A One-Tailed Test||α = 0.05||1.645|
4. What Is Your Understanding Of The Dispersion In A Data Set?
This question tests your understanding of dispersion as a method of statistical interpretation.
Sir, in statistics, dispersion identifies the spread of the data and is used to identify the different types of ranges (such as interquartile range, quartile range, etc), standard deviation, and variance. It measures variability present in a data set. Further, the ranges identified using dispersion always have a larger observation and a smaller observation.
5. What Is Probable Error (P. E) Of Correlation Used For?
This question tests your domain knowledge.
Sir, a Probable Error (P. E.) of correlation is used to:
- Identify and calculate the range increments
- Define the half range of the intervals
This value of probable error is also used to identify the upper (addition of P. E.) and lower limit (subtraction of P. E) of the range.
6. The Karl Pearson’s Measure Of Skewness Is Based Upon A Particular Relationship. Can You Tell Me Something About It?
This question checks your understanding of the important concept of Karl Pearson’s Measure Of Skewness, which is widely used by statisticians to study the data.
Sir, Karl Pearson’s Measure Of Skewness is a statistical approach to identify the skewness (can be both positive and negative) in a data set or distribution. This is usually done by identifying the three major statistical measures, which are, Mean, Median and Mode, and performing the further operations, which are:
- Step I: The difference between the mean and median of a set of observations is determined
- Step II: This difference is multiplied by three
- Step III: The result obtained in Step II is further divided by the standard deviation
Hence, it can be interpreted that Karl Pearson’s measure of skewness is based upon the relationship between the averages.
7. What Are The Different Observations Of Cobb-Douglas Production Function?
The Cobb-Douglas production function was developed between the years 1927 and 1947. It establishes a relationship between the production inputs (land, labor, capital, etc) and the production outputs. This is an important concept, which has a high chance of appearing in your interview.
Sir, the various observations of the Cogg-Douglas Production function can be seen from the relationship that it established between the sum of exponents and returns to scale in the following manner:
|Sum of exponents||Returns to scale|
|(a + b) is less than One||Decreasing|
|(a + b) is more than One||Increasing|
|(a + b) is equal to One||Constant returns|
8. What Are The Different Statistical Software Used Nowdays In The Industry? Can You Name At Least Three Of The Most Popular Ones?
This question checks your level of acquaintance with the latest software technology.
Sure, sir, These are:
- S. A. S (Statistical Analysis Software)
- S. P. S. S (Statistical Package For The Social Sciences)
- R (By R Foundation Of Statistical Computing)
9. The Bowley’s Measure Of Skewness and Kelly’s Measure of Skewness Are Based Upon Different Tendencies Of Measure. Can You Name Them?
This question checks your understanding of the different measures of skewness.
Sure, sir, These are:
|Type of Skewness||Basis|
|Bowley’s Measure Of Skewness||It is based upon the relationship between the median and the quartile|
|Kelly’s Measure of Skewness||It is based upon the percentiles|
10. Assume A Situation When Your Statistical Report Led To An Incorrect Business Decision That Caused Huge Financial Losses. How Would You React In This Situation?
This is a situation reaction test (SRT), wherein you are presented with an uncomfortable situation in which you have to react positively. Be confident, genuine, and relevant while answering this question.
Sir, there are always times when no matter how hard you work or how meticulously you perform, the occurrence of errors is just inevitable. I have never found myself in such a situation yet, but, if I ever find myself in it, I would always analyze the report submitted by me and look for all the possible changes that could have been made. I would not feel failed or will move into a state of depression, rather, I will come back stronger and deliver what is expected from me.
11. What Are The Different Methods Of Data Collection That Are Used By The Statisticians?
Through this question, an interviewer tests your understanding of the various data collection methods.
Sir, collection of data acts as the starting point in the process of research or investigation which is then evaluated and assessed using different statistical measures. To be successful and more accurate, statisticians nowadays gather data at almost every point of the customer journey, which includes:
- The usage of the mobile applications
- Clicks made on the search engines, websites, and other digital assets
- The interactions and behaviors of the customer at the social media sites, etc.
Some of the best collection methods are:
- Organizing marketing surveys
- Setting up polls, such as Gallup polls, Pre-election polls
- Engaging into direct interviews and observations with the existing/ prospective customers, etc.
12. How Should An Ideal Statistician Look Like? Share The Five Best Qualities Of Such A Statistician?
This question tests how much you understand your job role.
Sir, an ideal statistician must be punctual, hardworking, and certainly possess a knack for dealing with huge volumes of data. The various qualities of a contributing statistician are:
- Technologically sound (having knowledge of the various statistical computing software)
- Excellent mathematical and computational skills
- Critical thinker and observer
- Communication skills (both written and oral)
- Problem solving ability
13. What Are Some Of The Best Tools To Represent The Results Of Statistical Analysis?
After the collection of data, its interpretation, and analysis, a statistician is required to represent the results using various statistical tools. Hence, prepare for the major ones, as there is a high possibility of asking questions from them.
Sir, I normally use the following tools to represent my statistical analysis’ results:
- Pie chart
- Histograms and Line charts
- Time plots and Stem plots
14. MS-Excel Continues To Be An Important Statistical Computing Software and Is Even Used By Us In Our Working. Can You Share At Least Five Statistical Functions That You Are Aware Of?
MS-Excel is a widely used software in the industry of data analytics. It is often the first choice of several research houses, business organizations, and even government agencies. Hence, you can always expect one to two questions from different statistical functions.
Sure, sir, These are:
|Name of the Statistical Function||Formula in Excel|
|Average or Mean||=AVERAGE (Number1, [Number2], Number3, ……… or range)|
|Mode||1) =MODE.SNGL (Number1, [Number2], Number3, ……… or range)|
2) =MODE.MULT (Number1, [Number2], Number3, ……… or range)
|Standard deviation||=STDEV.P (Number1, [Number2], Number3, ……… or range)|
|Quartiles||=QUARTILE.INC (array, quart)|
15. How Do You Prefer To Operate – In A Team or Individually?
Most business organizations are nowadays divided into several teams of employees. This grouping is largely based upon the skills, education level and nature of tasks to be performed. Working in a team helps the organizations to reap the benefits of productivity as well as maintain the quality of its different functions and processes.
In an ideal response to this question, just choose “in a team” as your preferred mode of working as this will really help you to enhance your selection chances. However, you can certainly go for the second option as well, but for that, you must justify your selection using valid arguments, reasons and logic.
16. It Is Evident From Your Resume That You Have Worked At Several Business Organizations. Can You Describe Your Best Boss and Worst Boss?
No matter at what position or in which organization we work, there is always someone to supervise, control and assess our performance. This someone is usually known by different names such as a boss, reporting manager, or maybe a senior, etc.
It is an established fact that some of our bosses are quite helpful, supportive and kind, while some are completely opposite and do not practice benevolence. Hence, through this question, an interviewer wants to know what are the reasons that compel you to segregate your bosses into good and bad.
17. If You Were An Animal, What Will You Be?
This is a master personality evaluating question, which requires you to lay in some additional efforts. To prepare an ideal response for this question, you must follow the following steps:
- Read out the job description and understand its major requirements
- Identify the corporate-friendly animals (Some examples are, dolphins, bald eagles, elephants, dogs, honey bees, etc)
- Select the corporate-friendly animal, which closely matches to the requirements of the job
- Identify its major qualities and use them in your answer
18. As A Statistician, You Have To Munch Numbers and Literally Remain Surrounded By Them At All Times. It Has Been Seen That When Done On A Longer Basis It Leads To Stress and Boredom. How Do You Come Out Of This Phase?
The job role of a statistician is to analyze, interpret and examine the collected data. Undoubtedly, when performed on a longer basis, it can lead to stress and anxiety as the jitters of daily routine will always come to haunt you.
A stressed, nervous and loath employee is nothing less than a burden for the organization, as s/he always delivers sub-standard performance. Hence, an interviewer, through this question, asks you about the various techniques that you usually use to manage your stress levels. Some common stress management techniques are:
- Deep breathing exercises
- Positive pep talk
- Counseling, etc.
19. Dreams Come Naturally To Humans. What is Your Dream Job?
As long as employees will remain humans, they will dream and even try their best to achieve them. In an ideal response to this question, you must share your expectations with your interviewer. For example, you might dream to work in an organization that allows you to work from a separate cabin instead of a shared workfloor.
While narrating your answer to this question, just be relevant, and share those dreams that are realistic in nature and not purely a fantasy.
20. What Are Your Salary Expectations?
This is a common interview question and is asked in almost all the interview sessions held across the world. Through this question, an interviewer wants to know about your salary expectations, preferably in the form of a bracket.
To prepare an optimal response:
- Research the industry to which you belong
- Identify the salaries offered to the statisticians, who share a work experience similar to you
- Calculate a mean of all those salaries
Your answer must be based on this mean, however, if you have some special abilities and skills, you can certainly deviate from this mean, and quote a higher salary. Based on our observation and experience, we advise all the job seekers to never deviate more than 15% of the mean salary identified.
21. Do You Have Any Questions For Us?
Every interview session (depending upon your body language, knowledge, and communication skills) ranges from 20 minutes to about 60 minutes and is concluded with the help of this interview question. It is common to have certain doubts about the business organization you are getting interviewed with. Hence, this question gives you an opportunity to clear all your relevant doubts by asking counter-questions. Read out the sample questions mentioned below for a better understanding.
- What are the various incentives and allowances that are offered by the company to its employees?
- Please share a list of all the rules and guidelines related to “work ethics”, which are to be followed at the work floor.
- Can you tell me a few disadvantages of working at this organization?
Download the list of questions in .PDF format, to practice with them later, or to use them on your interview template (For Statistician interview):
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari is the founder of PrepMyCareer.com website.
I am a full-time professional blogger, a digital marketer, and a trainer. I love anything related to the Web, and I try to learn new technologies every day.
All the team management, content creation, and monetization tasks are handled by me. Together with the team at PrepMyCareer, the aim is to provide useful and engaging content to our readers.