As a court clerk, the aspirant is supposed to have intricate knowledge of the law. In addition to the facts, interpretations are also required in the long run. Though the tag of a clerk is attached to the job profile, it might be helpful to prepare well on the academic side as well. This job is not the last resort for people coming from the law background but it is considered to be an easier job as compared to the hardcore judiciary litigations, etc.
For acing the interview like a pro, it is essential to know the requirements of the job. In most cases, law-related interviews do not focus much on the bare acts and factual information. The interviewer would like to know about subjective arguments. Predominantly, as a court clerk, the designated person is supposed to maintain records. A good lexicon might also help as effective communication is considered to be the most vital tool used by most clerks.
The Top 21 Interview Questions To Prepare Well
1. What Do You Know About This Job Of A Court Clerk?
I consider this job an excellent opportunity of showcasing my skills of acing clerk jobs. According to me, this job requires repetitive work like that of a record-keeper and an assistant. This is a dignified job offering full-time employment.
2. In Case The Litigants Do Not Respond In Time, How Will You Handle The Situation?
In such a situation, I would inform the authorities as soon as I get no response. In addition, I would keep on retrying, making all possible attempts to reach them before the next date. Lastly, I will separately mention the defaulting names in the list.
3. Are You Passionate About Law?
I have always been interested in the way courts work. Since I could not make it to the top posts, this is my way of working in courts. As far as passion is concerned, I consider law as my hobby. It is a curious field and I like to stay updated.
4. What Will Be Your Priority In The Courtroom?
My priority in the courtroom would be to efficiently maintain a record of all the happening. In addition, I would focus on the tasks assigned on an urgent basis first and then proceed to the docket.
5. Is This Your First Try In The Field Of Law?
I have always been interested in this field. After trying to crack various competitive examinations, I decided that this job is the one for me. To be specific, this is my third attempt in the field of law.
6. What Do You Mean By Fruitless Litigation?
Fruitless litigation is defined as the exaggerated interpretation of trifle issues that hold no importance in the eyes of law. It is considered to be a means of extending dates and it serves so purpose other than wasting the precious time of the jury.
7. As A Court Clerk, How Would You Contribute Towards The Betterment Of Society, As A Whole?
I would try my best to further the social causes as a court clerk by doing my assigned tasks diligently. Though I cannot control what happens on the final day, I would make sure the proceedings run smoothly at all costs.
8. According To You, Is This Job A Tough One?
I consider this job a moderate one since it is low in technicality. Though high vigilance is required all the time, the responsibility would be lower. Due to this, I would be able to execute my duties without taking a lot of stress (which in turn hampers productivity).
9. Mention The Most Important Qualities Of A Court Clerk.
As per my research and existing knowledge, the following are the most important qualities of a court clerk –
- Efficient communication skills to establish a rapport between the clients
- Hardwork in maintaining records and producing them when desired
- Punctuality as per court dates
10. Are You Aware Of The Consequences Of Minor Mistakes In This Job?
I am completely aware that even a minute mistake might lead to the end of this job for me. Collection and updating of data is an essential aspect of litigation and I would be solely responsible for all discrepancies.
11. What Motivated You To Work As A Court Clerk?
My experience of working as a clerk for a few years motivates me to work as a court clerk. I wished to hone my skills and do something new at the same time.
12. Do You Consider Law Background In Family Essential For This Job?
I do not consider a law background in family essential for this court clerk job as there is no direct influence. Such conditions come to play only in the case of making a career as a jurist or litigator.
13. Elucidate On Your Typewriting Skills.
My typewriting skills are currently on the intermediate level. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate myself seven for the same. With my ongoing practice, I would easily be able to improve by the time I begin this job.
14. Do You Consider This Job Fulfilling In Terms Of Personal Satisfaction?
I feel that this job is apt for me as per my present situation. In terms of academic development and gaining experience in this field, being a court clerk is the easiest route according to me.
15. Imagine You Get Selected For This Post. What Changes Do You Expect?
I am presently unemployed so this job will lead to many positive changes in my life. In addition to financial security, I would have a fixed routine each day. The most important aspect is that my learning potential would increase manifold.
16. Being A Court Clerk, What Would Be Your Limitations?
I would be expected to speak only when asked. As a court clerk, my opinions should not be presented without prior permission. I will try my best to take permission before doing anything extra even if I consider it advantageous.
17. Do You Keep Yourself Abreast With The Latest Law Changes?
I am an avid news reader. It is not that I specifically focus on law changes but the general knowledge is aptly brushed up due to constant revision. I like to read landmark judgments. Some magazines and chronicles on the latest issues also form part of my weekend reading schedule.
18. What Is More Important For You – Precedent Or Custom?
According to me, precedent is more important than custom. I would like to substantiate this answer with a reason – custom does not change with cultural changes but precedent does. Therefore, it is better to adapt to the new socio-economic conditions.
19. As A Court Clerk, Would You Be Able To Maintain Appropriate Levels Of Work-Life Balance?
I would definitely be able to maintain the desired levels of work-life balance as a court clerk as this job is not new to me. With the change of environment, I feel that the balance would be better since new ventures keep me motivated extrinsically.
20. This Job Might Get Monotonous With Time. How Do You Plan To Keep Your Spirits High In The Long Run?
I am well aware that the job of a court clerk would require me to do the same tasks over and over again. Therefore, I would take each day as a new opportunity to improve and will keep my spirits high by setting high goals. In addition to this, I will try to inculcate new values by spending more time with experienced people I am expecting to meet on a daily basis.
21. Do You Wish To Continue With Us Even If There Are No Promotions? Why?
I am always open to new opportunities. Promotions are not my cup of tea because I do not adapt to change well. Therefore, I wish to stay placed here itself, irrespective of a stagnant income. Job security is one of my priorities at this stage of life.