An executive secretary mostly indulges in management work concerning the schedule of the executive. The roles and responsibilities include maintenance of records, preparing presentations, confirming meeting timings, etc. Therefore, the interviewer will focus on real-life skills and not bookish knowledge. Experience matters a lot for this job as executive secretaries need to work continuously for understanding everyday tasks in the deepest interpretations, irrespective of agendas.
Communication is a key part of this role since the acquaintances of the executive need to be informed of the recent changes in the schedule so that everything else can be managed accordingly. On the other hand, personal interests might hamper progress as the secretary might not focus solely on the tasks assigned. For preparing for this interview, stepping into the shoes of a secretary might be necessary for those who have no prior experience and wish to go for the job for improving their resume.
The Top 21 Interview Questions To Prepare Well
1. How Can An Executive Secretary Maintain Efficiency At Work?
The perfect way to maintain efficiency as an executive secretary is to memorize the schedule. This will reduce probable mistakes.
2. Provide A Brief On Your Strong And Weak Areas.
My strong areas include communication and negotiation. I can easily convince people to agree on a common point so that the vested interests are not compromised. My weak areas include overthinking and perfectionism. I am to do everything as per my imagination but the circumstances do not permit so at times.
3. Is Compliance With Rules Really Worth It?
Compiance with office rules is essential only to the extent when rules help in furthering the interests of the workers. On the contrary, inhumane rules should be protested against as soon s possible.
4. Is It Essential To Maintain Good Interpersonal Relations With The Executive After Work Hours Too?
It depends on the quantum of duties designated to the executive secretary. In most cases, it is best to confine the same to office hours so that interpersonal relations do not affect the work to be done.
5. What Is Your Opinion On Gender Equality At The Workplace?
Gender equality helps maintain feelings of trust and worthiness at the workplace. The roles assigned should not be gender-specific but talent-specific so that the males, as well as females, can prove themselves in their respective spheres.
6. What Would You Do If A Meeting Is Cancelled At The Last Moment?
I would inform the executive immediately and try to substitute some pending appointments during that time frame. If this is not possible, I would try to know about the next probable slot so that the whole day is not wasted due to a single default.
7. Is It Permissible For An Executive Secretary To Manage Personal Accounts?
No. They are to be managed only by the accountants.
8. If A Person Continues To Visit On A Daily Basis Without Any Prior Appointment, How Will You Manage The Scenario?
That person needs to be acquainted with the rules. I would try to emphasize the importance of rules at the office and would try to give the earliest possible appointment. In the case of stubborn clients, the guards would have to handle the whole issue as per the circumstances.
9. Will You Be Able To Manage Everyday Stress At The Workplace?
Yes. Since I am aware of the protocols, it would be easier to minimize stress. In exceptional situations, I use mindfulness techniques to cope up with any existing amount of stress at the workplace. Establishing a proper work-life balance might also help in this regard.
10. Can You Suggest Five Ways To Keep The Important Files Organized?
The essential files can be organized in the following five ways:
- Segregate according to agenda
- Place them in separate folders
- Arrange the respective folders as per the schedule
- Combine date if there is a possibility
- Division of folders into further subcategories might help in establishing a flow in information.
11. As An Executive Secretary, How Are You Supposed To Handle Secrets Of Past Employers?
They are to be kept confidential at all costs as it might hamper the other executive secretaries’ work. No official information should be divulged in front of the clients without prior permission.
12. How Will You Manage Multiple Agendas Designated For A Single Day?
I would arrange them as per the executive’s priorities. This will help in taking up one task at a time while completing the scheduled tasks on the said date.
13. What Changes Would You Be Allowed To Make To The Schedule?
As per the confirmation of the meeting organizers, an executive secretary is allowed to change the schedule based on the executive’s guidelines. I would modify the same only to the extent my employer allows me to do so. It is essential to maintain the optimum level of coordination.
14. How Would You Manage Clients From Foreign States In Regard To Language Barriers?
I would try to learn the language if the clients are regular. In other cases, translators might help efficiently. The parties can also decide to communicate in a language known to both sides if such a scenario arises.
15. Mention The Most Important Trait Of An Executive Secretary.
Patience is the most important trait of an executive secretary. Since there might be numerous cases when people do not turn up at a decided time or wish to arrange the meeting at a prior time, a patient person will find it easy to manage such trifle issues. The absence of patience might even threaten the job in exceptional circumstances.
16. Are You Willing To Travel As Per The Secretary’s Schedule?
Yes, I can easily relocate for this job. On the other hand, I am ready to manage the secretary’s tasks here when he or she has to travel so that unanimity is maintained in the official work. Delegation of necessary activities can be handled accordingly.
17. Describe The Essence Of Discipline In Everyday Life.
For me, discipline is one of the pillars on which life is supported. It helps a person maintain the timely status of all activities. In addition, a disciplined person can easily act as a role model for others. I believe that the absence of discipline makes life akin to a boat without sails. Confusion is cut down by practicing the art of discipline in daily life.
18. What Is More Important – Taking Down Minutes Of A Meeting Or Concentrating On The Conversation Instead?
As an executive secretary, it would be my duty to take down minutes of a meeting to effectively update the database. The people who indulge in the meeting should place their focus on the ongoing conversation. It is best to multitask but as far as particular focus is concerned, one must decide as per the designated post.
19. Do You Have Any Prior Experience In This Field?
Yes, I have been a part of various internships where I had to work under other executive secretaries to learn the intricacies of this job. After successful completion of the same, I was appointed to the desired post in a law firm which helped enrich my knowledge. To be specific, my experience is limited to three years as of now.
20. How Flexible Are You, As A Professional?
I believe in adapting to changing conditions. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate myself a seven on flexibility. This decision can be attributed to my norms as per which I do not believe in doing unfair tasks to gain promotions, etc. In terms of the workplace, I can prove my flexibility by doing multiple shifts and learning new languages.
21. What Do You Understand By The Term “Alternate Dispute Resolution”?
Alternate dispute resolution incorporates all types of out-of-court settlements that do not come under the ambit of arbitration. These measures include negotiation, mediation, compromise, etc. When parties indulge in such practices, the executive secretary needs to furnish all facts in front of the negotiator or mediator. Fruitless litigation is saved, which implies that the precious time of both parties is saved without any extra expenditure for hiring lawyers, etc.