‘Marketing’ is an important aspect of every company. It is something which connects people and keeps them engaging and makes a beautiful touch of the relationship between the company and their clients or customers. Marketing also helps to give the information of the company’s product or service in a very creative way, which results in connecting and attracting more people. As other aspects marketing is the one which has been concentrated more because it is also indirectly connected with sales and we all know how sales is crucial for an organization. So we can say tha sales and marketing both go hand in hand and also have been concentrated more by company or an organization.
Marketing is a very vast concept. There are also many subdivisions or parts or types which need to be taken care of. Hence many specific people are hired to take charge of particular types. One of them is ‘Creative Director’.
Creative director is the one who is responsible for marketing and creating and maintaining a brand image in a most creative way. They are the ones who develop the look, feel, touch and tone of the company’s brand. They attract new clients by creating captivating advertisements, marketing campaigns, social media handlings, posters and hoardings etc.
If you’re creative and also thinking of applying for the post of creative director then I must say it’s actually a fantastic thought. Making a career in the field of marketing is very profitable not only in terms of salary but you also grow in terms of self upgradation. Especially in this generation where social media is at its peak and has become oil for living, how brands will step away from it? Most of the brands are on social media and promoting their products or services in a creative way. So obviously a career in marketing and creative directing is very long lasting.
Hence, if you are planning to make your career in marketing or being a creative director or you are about to apply or you have already applied. Now you don’t have to worry as we have come up with 21 interview questions asked to the creative director.
Creative Director Interview Questions and Answers
1. Tell me about yourself
This is generally a soft question asked in almost all firms for all positions. This question is asked just to get a clear idea about you so the conversation starts very friendly. Answer this question very calmly and keep it simple.
2. What is your previous work experience?
This is the most important and tricky question among all. You are expected to answer it very wisely. We recommend you to have a healthy past experience before you apply because the post of creating director is on the senior level.
I was a marketing department head at my previous job. I’ve led a team of social media marketing and advertising. I and my team also led many advertising campaigns too which helped the firm to reach more people and aware them on some particular issue which resulted in increasing their sales.
3. What’s your vision towards marketing and advertising?
Here the interviewer wants to know something serious about your aims and vision in this particular field. Being a creative director needs to be very optimistic and long sighted so answer this question very carefully.
Usually Interviewers have their own company’s targets and aims in their mind so if anyhow your answers help to connect them and convince them that your contribution can help their goals achieve then your chances of getting hired increases rapidly.
4. Which brands do you admire and what makes them stand out?
To answer this question you really need to pick something creative attribute of a particular brand which you look at on that basis the recruiter will seek how creative you are and also how well observed you are.
There are many brands I look upon. I like most of them but I have to say anyone specific then it has to be Coca Cola. I really like the way Coca Cola advertise their product and their various campaigns, they really know how to hammer their products to customers. Hence Coca Cola is the brand which I really look upon and would definitely like to meet their creative director someday.
5. Will you please tell us why you choose Creative directing as your field?
Many people choose their career in a field in which they don’t know anything. They just take up any field just to survive but this is something which cannot be tolerated in the marketing field. So you have to make clear why you choose this field to your interviewer.
Sir since childhood, I’ve grown up seeing my father selling insurance as he was in the insurance field. This is where I grew interest in the sales and later while learning more I also got interested in the entire sales model and then I was introduced to marketing and there where I started studying it in depth.
6. What kind of work environment do you prefer?
Working environment varies from person to person, so this question totally depends upon what kind of work experience you prefer to work in. Answer this question as per your own taste. Usually they marketing geeks like the work environment which will be pleasant and not caged. An environment which will be free, non toxic and free and especially open minded with not much restrictions.
7. What qualities do you think makes a creative director better?
The creative director makes or puts their influence to the company to a better extent. There are many qualities needed to be a creative director such as good communication skills, creative thinking, SEO, digital marketing etc. Answer all the skills which are needed to be a creative director and the ones which you are already skilled into.
8. What challenges did you have to face while developing the brand image?
As a creative director you might have gone through many challenges before. While answering this question try to share most of your challenges you had faced previously.
9. Tell us about your least successful campaign you lead?
We never succeed every time in every project we do fail and it is very much acceptable to accept it, learn from it and to correct it for the next time. So while answering this question be sincere and tell your interviewers about your failures too.
10. How do you read people and your client’s preferences?
Every person is different as well as clients, their target and aims concerning their perspectives are different, so indeed you should be able to understand your client.
I never just accept any campaign idea or advertisement on anyone’s emotion or just a raw idea. I always have a decent conversation with them first to understand what the public’s expectations are, what they need, where their emotions are stuck with. Then after analysing all the aspects I read them and try to execute them properly.
11. Tell us about your successful campaign you lead?
As we have to deal with failures similarly we also go and experience some successful and amazing events that eventually boosts our confidence. So remember what those events were and explain it in a very cheerful manner.
12. Why did you choose your firm? What interests you?
This question is a bit important as the interviewer wants to check what your views are towards his company. They are also willing to know how serious you are with the applied venture or you just want a job.
I’ve applied for many other corporate firms and institutions but always wished to work with you because the market goodwill this company holds and the working culture in this company is really outstanding and captivating. I believe that there are plenty of opportunities to learn and grow from this company.
13. In a situation if you are not able to make your team leader satisfied, what will be your response?
It is essential to make people and upper authority happy but that’s not the case every time, sometimes things may go averse.Recruiter wants to know how you deal with the negative situations which were not expected.
14. What are the parameters for ‘Good creative director’ according to you?
For an organisation apart from their products and ambience, customer service is the essential thing.They want to know what is your way of treating your customers in such a way so they can impress.
Answer this question very carefully as this question will impact on how well you are capable of the position.
15. In any situation if you had to face criticism from the manager what would be your response?
As your strengths, the interviewer also wants to know your weakness, so this is a way to know whether this is your weakness.This will also let him know how you take every situation optimistically.
I am quite sure that feedback is something which helps us to grow more. I take every feedback the same way there is nothing negative in it, for me it’s an indicator or a path that shows where to improve.
16. Tell me the first thing you notice when you walk into our office?
Interviewers are always smart, they ask this question to know how good an observer you are. If you are interested to your fullest degree you ought to notice some great things in or outside the office before you enter.
Remember your answer must be simple and positive. It’s not the time to point out faults or to suggest what can be improved.
17. How do you manage your stress?
It is very important to manage your feelings not only for a barista but for every job. Anger, anxiety, and stress are such types of feelings which can adversely affect your work. So answer this question by escalating to your recruiter that how you manage your stress and won’t let it affect your professional life.
18. Why are you looking for this job?
Obviously the interviewer wants to know what’s the motive behind your search for this job, make sure you don’t answer anything that depicts the urgency or any kind of need. Let him know how curious you are to explore this field which you have learned.
19. What are your hobbies other than the stock market?
I have many hobbies like riding my bicycle in the morning, as it keeps us fresh and active throughout the day, after all a wealth manager needs to be energetic. Apart from that I also like reading books. I always try to grow and learn more and more not only of finance but also be up to date in other soft skills as well. Gym and playing video games are also my hobbies.
20. How much salary do you expect?
You are obviously not supposed to answer this question directly, it can be an unethical way of approaching it, rather ask your interviewer to suggest a perfect payout as per your qualifications and experiences and then if the payment isn’t as per your expectations you can remind about the qualities and commitment you have.
21. Do you want to ask us anything?
I’ll definitely suggest not to answer this question directly as ‘No’, you must have some set of questions ready with yourself as they show how serious you are.
Table of Contents
- 1 Creative Director Interview Questions and Answers
- 1.1 1. Tell me about yourself
- 1.2 2. What is your previous work experience?
- 1.3 3. What’s your vision towards marketing and advertising?
- 1.4 4. Which brands do you admire and what makes them stand out?
- 1.5 5. Will you please tell us why you choose Creative directing as your field?
- 1.6 6. What kind of work environment do you prefer?
- 1.7 7. What qualities do you think makes a creative director better?
- 1.8 8. What challenges did you have to face while developing the brand image?
- 1.9 9. Tell us about your least successful campaign you lead?
- 1.10 10. How do you read people and your client’s preferences?
- 1.11 11. Tell us about your successful campaign you lead?
- 1.12 12. Why did you choose your firm? What interests you?
- 1.13 13. In a situation if you are not able to make your team leader satisfied, what will be your response?
- 1.14 14. What are the parameters for ‘Good creative director’ according to you?
- 1.15 15. In any situation if you had to face criticism from the manager what would be your response?
- 1.16 16. Tell me the first thing you notice when you walk into our office?
- 1.17 17. How do you manage your stress?
- 1.18 18. Why are you looking for this job?
- 1.19 19. What are your hobbies other than the stock market?
- 1.20 20. How much salary do you expect?
- 1.21 21. Do you want to ask us anything?