There has been a rising interest of students and candidates in performing jobs that are not traditional and a bit off-beat. A kennel attendant is one such job in which pet animals, such as dogs, cats, rabbits are cared for. Not especially a doctor, but certainly an animal lover, such is the job profile of a kennel attendant. He or she has to perform a variety of duties, such as:
- Grooming animals by making them bathe
- Sanitizing the animals using appropriate liquids and sanitizers
- Relieve the stress of the animals by playing with them and taking them for a walk
A kennel attendant is not a technical position, wherein you will be required to write codes for software programs or maybe prepare a balance sheet. This is more of a simple job, but is certainly challenging and has its own unique tasks and responsibilities. An attendant usually gets a lucrative salary and ample free time while being at work. The interview process of a kennel attendant is quite tricky and thus a candidate must prepare sincerely.
21 Best Interview Questions To Study
1. Raisins, Grapes, and Cirtus Fruits Are Perfect Foods For Dogs. Comment.
Being a kennel attendant you will certainly be required to feed animals. This question checks whether or not you are aware of the various foods that can be given to animals.
Sir, This statement is completely false. Raisins, Grapes, and Citrus Fruits are completely unhealthy and toxic for dogs. Raisins and grapes can lead to kidney failure whereas citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, grapefruits contain citric acid and can cause an upset stomach when fed in large quantities. Thus, it is best to refrain from such foods.
2. What Are The Most Common Illnesses That Are Caused In Cats?
This question tests your understanding of the various diseases and illnesses that are caused in cats.
Animals, like humans, also suffer from a variety of diseases. Cats suffer from several illnesses, such as:
- Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV); This is a gradual infection and a cat might develop symptoms years after first contracting the virus. In this illness, the immunity system of a cat weakens gradually and slowly, until a point when it is not even able to fight off regular bacteria and viruses.
- Heartworm: This is a common disease that often attacks cats. This infection is caused by mosquito bites and spreads in the lungs of the cats.
- Rabies: This disease is not limited to dogs, but is caused in cats also. This adversely affects the mental system and spinal cord of all mammals.
3. List At Least Three Foods That You Can Feed To Dogs and Why?
This question tests your practical knowledge and understanding of the various types of animal foods.
Sir, dogs are special and they have a digestive system that is different as compared to humans. This variation makes a few items of foods not suitable for dogs, such as dark chocolates, coffee, avocados, cherry, etc. However, there are several safe foods also, such as:
- Fish: This is a very safe food for dogs and provides all the essential proteins and vitamins to dogs, such as Vitamin B, Omega 3, etc.
- Peanut Butter: Most people are not aware, that this superfood can be given to dogs as well. It is loaded with several minerals and proteins, such as niacin, Vitamin E, Vitamin B, etc.
- Bananas: The dogs can be fed bananas as it not only strengthens their bones but also provides them with essential magnesium and other proteins.
4. How Will You Move Crippled Animals Around?
This question tests your practical working procedures associated with the job.
Sir, the best way to move such animals is by using carts of varying sizes. The crippled animals of the size of dogs and smaller can be effectively transported and shifted using a specially designed animal cart. However, for bigger animals, like giraffes and elephants, a motorized truck can be used.
5. How Will You Handle A Disgruntled Customer Who Is Not Satisfied With Your Pet Care?
The satisfaction of customers is highly important in this business, as it could simply not survive with falling subscription costs. Hence, an interviewer will always ask you such a question. Answer in a positive manner.
Sir, customers are the kings of every business and this applies here too. I believe, owing to my expert care and services, I will never find myself in any such situation but If I encounter anything like this, I would, first of all, try to understand the problems of the customers and then use my critical thinking abilities to resolve all the issues.
6. Explain In Brief Ringworm As An Animal Disease.
This question tests your knowledge and understanding of the various animal diseases.
Sir, ringworm, is not caused by any worm or bacteria as its name suggests, rather it is a skin infection caused by fungus. It is a common disease that spreads in dogs, animals, and even humans. It usually happens when animals live in unhygienic conditions and are not properly cleaned and/or sanitized.
7. Animals Have A Quirky Nature. How Do You Relieve Their Stress?
Being a kennel attendant, you will be required to relieve the stress of the animals. As an ideal response to this question, you must share a few strategies using which you can reduce the stress level of the animals.
Sir, animals like cats and dogs, are not that different from humans and need constant love, care, and attention for their energetic survival. They usually swing moods pretty quickly and at one moment they might play a lot and at the very next moment, they might be in a shock. There are three best ways to relieve and manage their stress levels, these are:
- Petting on the back and neck of the animals
- Bringing new toys and feeding them a variety of foods
- Using calming coats
8. Emergencies Are Unexpected and Occur Suddenly. What Are Your Plans On Emergency Evacuation Of Animals?
This is a very important interview question and you must prepare for this question by learning a few techniques related to an emergency evacuation.
Sir, there are different types of emergencies that might occur at the concerned place where animals are residing. The evacuation strategy differs and changes according to the type of emergency. However, Fire is the most common type of emergency and to protect the animals from it, I always:
- Prepare in advance a pet evacuation kit
- Gather all the dog-sized animals at one place, which is closest to the exit point and has sufficient water
- I push all the animals into the evacuation bags and safely, but quickly keep them outside the affected premises
9. What Are Your Protective Gears While Working As A Kennel Attendant?
Working with animals is risky, as an unhealthy animal usually possesses several contagious diseases that can spread from the pet to the humans. Thus, an interviewer always checks your knowledge in regards to the various protective gear available to kennel attendants.
Sir, “safety first” is the motto that I usually follow. There are several protective gears, such as:
- PPE Kits when dealing with infected animals
- Using earplugs for the safety of ears
- Using eye protective glasses
- Using hand gloves
10. Kennel Attendant Is A Low Job. Comment On This Statement.
This question criticizes your own job or profession. As an ideal response, you need to defend your profession and give a meaningful answer by using several logic and rationales. Further, you are advised to remain calm and composed, as this question might annoy you and make you feel quirky.
Sir, in my opinion, this statement is absolutely false. No job is low in this world and there is need as well as the importance of every type of worker in the society. If scavengers were not there to lift the dead remains, then I wonder how come the high-class would have survived in filth and dirt. The job of a kennel attendant is not at all low as you are serving and helping speechless animals, which is itself a samaritan kind of work.
11. As A Kennel Attendant You Will Be Required To Work Upon Several Tasks. How Do You Prioritize?
As a kennel attendant, you can accomplish all your assigned tasks by arranging them in a particular order. This order would be defined by your prioritization strategy. You can arrange the tasks on the basis of time consumption or simply on the basis of difficulty level. Whatever it is, just share it with your interviewer.
12. How Comfortable Are You In Training Animals?
This is a common expectation of the organization and you must be aware of the methods to train animals. Answer this question in a positive manner and list all the ways that you can use to train the animals and teach them the basic instructions.
13. Working With Animals On A Daily Basis Could Be Hectic. How Do You Manage Your Stress Levels?
Stress management is a common requirement of business organizations and as an ideal response to this question, you must share a thoughtful technique to manage your stress levels.
14. When Can You Start Working With Us?
There is nothing technical in this question, and an interviewer expects you to share a date, on or after which you can be available to work for the company. This question in no way guarantees your selection, and thus you are always requested to maintain your focus and concentration.
15. What Are Your Salary Expectations?
It is common for the interviewers to ask about your salary expectations during an interview session itself. It is advised that you share the salary in a bracket that is based on some deep and serious research of the industry to which you belong. Refrain from saying any random salary figure.
16. What Are Your Strengths and Weaknesses?
An interview session is almost incomplete without a strength-weakness-related interview question. For a better response to this question, it is always advisable to conduct a deep-scrutiny of the self before sharing your strengths and weaknesses.
17. How Open Are You To Criticizms?
Being a kennel attendant, you are bound to face Negative feedbacks and criticisms from your seniors, founders, and even customers. Being a dedicated employee you must learn from such criticisms, rather than getting annoyed or feeling bad. Answer this question in a positive manner and avoid derogatory remarks.
18. We All Face Failure. How Do You Manage Failure At Your Workplace?
Success is not a guarantee and an interviewer completely accepts this fact. However, you are expected to manage your failures, which usually have a devastating impact upon human minds. Share your strategy as an ideal response.
19. What Motivates You To Work?
This question is highly personal and is influenced by your financial conditions and living circumstances. Apprise your interviewer of the motivational factors that prompt you to work hard, in response to this question.
20. Why You Chose Us?
This question tests your level of seriousness and commitment towards the business organization you sought to work with. To frame a perfect answer, browse the official website of the company and note down all the relevant facts and details. Post this, add your personal interests in the company and you are good to go.
21. Do You Have Any Questions For Us?
An interview session is concluded through this question. This interview question usually marks the end of your opportunity and you can certainly go home after attending it. The best way to answer this question is by asking a few relevant questions from your interviewer. These questions usually represent your doubts and apprehensions in regards to the organization, its working culture, its ethics, etc. Below is a list of some model questions that can be asked from your interviewer:
- What are the various incentives and allowances that are paid to the kennel attendants?
- Please share a list of all the work timings that are followed by the organization.
- Is it the policy of the company to insure its attendants from possible scars, bites, and other infections that can be caused by the animals to humans?
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari is the founder of PrepMyCareer.com website.
I am a full-time professional blogger, a digital marketer, and a trainer. I love anything related to the Web, and I try to learn new technologies every day.
All the team management, content creation, and monetization tasks are handled by me. Together with the team at PrepMyCareer, the aim is to provide useful and engaging content to our readers.