A receptionist is the first person that you come in contact with while you are up for staying at a hotel. They all the work from meeting and greeting you to guiding you all the way to your comfortable and cosy room. They provide you with information on every detail of your stay and completes all the possible formalities that are required to be done to give you a comfortable stay.
A receptionist has to deal with hundreds of customers daily and all of them are different from each other. Hence, it requires patience and etiquettes to handle different customers with different attitudes.
Responsibilities of a Receptionist
The receptionist holds the key position in any hotel or homestay. They have a bunch of duties to be performed daily which are pretty much of the same nature. Some of them are listed below:
- Meeting and greeting customers daily
- Maintain a bunch of visitor logs
- Maintain the decorum of the hotel
- Ensuring availability of all the detailed information to customers
- Managing various files and documents
- Receiving and making calls
- Managing all the enquiries regarding the operation of the hotel
Skills of a Receptionist
A receptionist is quite a busy person managing all the daily activities and guiding their clients effectively and efficiently. Hence, to become a good receptionist, you require to possess a whole lot of skills to emerge out as a worthy one. However, they are not as difficult as they seem to be. Let us take a look at them:
- You should be skilled with the basics of computer operation
- You should be very proficient in English and any other regional languages to guide as accurately as you can
- You need to be familiar with drafting e-mails and managing e-mails
- You should be able to manage multiple alls all at the same time
- You should be confident enough with what you speak and the information do you pass
You should be able to convince the interview panel that you possess all the skills to be a praiseworthy receptionist. And hence, you will have to fill your resume with such details that will complete the interview panel to believe in so. Here are some listings:
- Good communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Calm and problem-solving nature
- Polite behaviour
- Patience is highly appreciated
- Maintain the cleanliness of the reception area
- Excellent time management skills
- Good organisational skills and multi-tasking quality
Training and Certifications
Now, you must be thinking what if you do not possess all the necessary skills to be appointed as a receptionist. That is quite expectable and you should not be worrying about those things because mostly all the hospitality organisations believe in training their receptionist to fit the job. And in that case, you have got the privilege to learn and make yourself adept for whatever field you have been appointed in.
Now, most companies do not find it necessary as far as the certifications for the same is concerned. However, there are still many companies that believe in the significance of certified candidates and those cases, you will have to have a certification otherwise, you might be debarred from the selection process.
Salary of a Receptionist
You must be wondering, you will be working so hard just to get that position but at what cost? Now, that is pretty much obvious. You should be concerned about that too. So, to be honest, any receptionist with an approach to median salary earns around $30,050 per annum. However, the top 10 per cent receptionist manages to earn around $43,400 per annum which is a pretty good amount.
If you are appointed as a full-time receptionist, then you might be getting several benefits such as health benefits, dental health check-ups, retirement benefits and vacation pay and so on. Top organisations even provide a median salary wage of $59,340 per annum and among the top 10% receptionists manages to earn around $89,310 per year. So, prepare hard yet smartly, to crack all the interview rounds and you get hold of that dream position.
Here is data that shows the median salary of receptionists in May 2019:
- Health Care assistance $15.08
- Professional and Technical services $14.70
- Support Services $14.49
- Civic and Professional Organisations $13.38
- Personal Care services $12.13
Receptionist Job Interview
As we are heading towards the end of this discussion, we would like to throw some light on the basics of a receptionist job interview such that you get slight guidance on how you should present yourself in front of the hiring committee.
What you have to do is that continuously pinpoint the areas you possess that suit the job eligibility criteria and convince the interview panel about your skills. You should also take a look at the company’s website and analyse their motive for hiring. In that way, you can get hold of some idea about what the company expects from its workers.
This is an article where you will find detailed information about a receptionist and all the information comprehensive to that topic. These websites will give you proper guidance on how to become a successful receptionist and live your dream life. We hope this article will surely find you a way to your motive and let us know in the comments down below if you have anything to ask or to suggest.