Having an optimistic point of view and approach towards life is what every company needs in its employees. An employee with a futuristic view and organized thoughts or plans could be very valuable. ‘What do you want to achieve in life?’ This question looks for rejuvenating spirit that can reinvigorate the company. So, preparing for this question is very important before going to any interview.
Tips to Answer this Question
- Emphasize on how this job you are applying to, will help you achieve your goals.
- Focus on how you are flexible and how you adapt to changes. This will highlight your organizational skills.
- Try to mention that you are open to for more responsibilities. As responsibilities are the way to progress.
- Try to include how you can add value to the company.
Mistakes to Avoid
- Do not state something completely irrelevant to the field you are applying to. This could put you as a disoriented and unstable person in front of them.
- Never say ‘I don’t know’ as an answer for this question. It could be very inimical for your impression.
- Do not emphasize on your needs for a higher position instead of explaining hoe this current position will train you for that.
Sample Answer to the Question
- I want to become the best version of myself. Growing up we always make our choices based on what could be best for us. I want to do the same. There will be plenty of opportunities to improve in my way in future. I just want to try my best to grab each and every one of them and sleep without any regrets.
- I want a happy life. This line sounds too cliché but it encompasses a lot of things. I want a healthy life and I want to contribute something good in life of people I love and in company that I work for. In short I want to matter. If money is the only reason for my work then I don’t think that I can be happy enough. I know this looks like a very vague answer but also an aim that requires a lot of hardwork and sacrifices to achieve. I hope my dedication towards my work will help me achieve this goal earlier.
- To be honest, I am hardly a person that plans too much for future. I like to enjoy the present moment and make the most of it. Its pretty amazing to watch calmly how one thing leading to another changes your life. I won’t leave an opportunity to learn something new but I also won’t push myself into something that I am not ready for. To cut it short, I will change according to situation and look for a continuous progress.
- I would like to make some changes that would lead to betterment of scheduled tribes and nomadic tribes in the country. I have watched them suffer due to toxic political environment and narrow minded people. I would to like work for bringing the concept of equality ground. I have also done some social work and research on this topic. I think your NGO, will help me reach greater heights in my cause which made me apply for a job here.
- As an athlete the only thing that I want is to test my limits and achieve greater heights and maximize my potential. I have heard a lot about the coaches in your university. That’s the main reason I applied for a scholarship in your company. I don’t think there would be any better place than this to excel as per my needs.
- I want to open my own business like a hotel. I had a lot of interest in hospitality services since a long time. I joined hotel management academy to learn more about it. This is the reason that I want a job in your hotel which is well known for its services all around the world so that in future I can have some experience and guts to try some new winds on my new wings.
- I want to achieve a balance in my life. Not just only in my life but also in my family’s. I think my family has went through a lot and struggled to its peak to make me what I am today. It would be my extreme pleasure to make them feel comfortable in life. They always believed in me even when I didn’t. So, spending time with them while earning will give me contentment. Your company is known for its work-life balance. So, it’s a better place for fulfilling my needs.
- I have been very passionate about any leadership experience that I can get. I liked to use my skills to train or help people working to achieve same goals. I am really excited about this entry level job. I hope the experience, knowledge and skills that I will gain from this job would work in a managerial position one day and train new people the same way I was trained.
- I wish to be a best mechanical design engineer that could be with high experience of end to end project management. Your company is replete with opportunities for hands on experience in projects related to my field. I will try my best to make the most of it if given the opportunity.
- I want to focus on my writing skills and communication skills. As we know that written and verbal skills go hand in hand, I will try to improve my verbal and non verbal skills for better communication ad creating an impactful presence of my personal brand. That’s the main reason I applied for a job in this advertising and marketing agency which will help me test my potentials.
As mentioned above, answer to this question should reflect positive vibes and your organizational skills. Show your passion towards your dream that will make you work with more dedication. Show how much you value the company or the organization you applied for. Research about any projects that the company is working on, that will help you achieve your goals. Don’t be afraid to include some philosophical statements in your answer but also be practical while explaining any scenarios.