Business houses, governments, or we dare say entire nations, run, operate, and steer on the basis of quality researches. Be it expanding your school of thought to new dimensions, or expanding your knowledge base with the latest trends and insights, diligent researches are crucial and play a primary role in achieving success and excellence. It is for this reason that research assistants, who perform meaningful researches are able to get employment in almost all the sectors including public authorities and corporate bodies. They often get a lucrative salary and are highly qualified with a degree in research and allied methods.
Considering the bright pay prospects and widespread recognition that they get, even a handful of vacancies at the post of research assistants, attract a high number of job applications from the eligible candidates. Thus, in order to make a successful carer and get your dream job, always prepare sincerely for the interview process by reading the frequently asked interview questions.
21 Best Interview Questions To Study
1. Research Gives You A Competitive Advantage. Comment.
This question checks your knowledge and understanding of the benefits of conducting research.
Sir, I completely agree with this statement. Business houses conduct research activities so as to gain a competitive advantage over their rivals. By collecting relevant data and analyzing it, enterprises are often able to evolve their existing operations and enrich themselves with the latest information, trends, and business insights. Further, it also helps an organization in taking strategic decisions, say, acting as a first mover, or play a second fiddle in any particular niche.
2. In Regards To A Manufacturing Company, What Major Aspects Would You Research?
This question tests your practical knowledge and your ability to apply theory in real-life work situations.
Sir, a manufacturing company is always interested in reducing its production costs. Production is an activity, which nowadays is highly automated and performed using a variety of machines and assembly lines. Thus, it is pertinent to research about the:
- Average down time of the machines
- Idle time of the workers and
- Peak production levels or outputs handled by the machines
3. Name Any Three Parameters For Seggregating Marketing Related Consumer Information.
This question checks your knowledge and understanding of the various segregation attributes used to divide the sample population.
Sir, such information could be divided on the basis of:
- Level of disposable income of the consumers
- Age of the consumers
- Consumer buying habits or preferences
4. What Are The Attributes Of A Good Research Assistant?
Through this question, an interviewer wants to know your level of understanding of your profession.
Sir, in my opinion, a good or perfect research assistant must:
- Be Attentive to all the minute details and related information
- Have excellent internet browsing skills
- Have an ability to collate, organize and present data in a meaningful order
5. Explain “Diagnostic Research” Which Is One Of The Several Types Of Researches Performed In The Industry?
This question tests your level of understanding of the various types of researches that are performed in the corporate world.
Sure, sir, diagnostic research is special research that focuses and concentrates on events that have already occurred. For example, suppose, the loan book of a financial institution shrank in this quarter by a double-digit percentage. In such a case, diagnostic research could be implemented to evaluate the reasons due to which your loan book shrank. Say, this happened due to bad weather or any natural calamity. Thus, this type of research focuses on the “why” aspect.
6. You Need To Present The Analyzed Data To The Senior Management. How Good Are Your Communication Skills?
Research assistants are usually required to present the end results of their researches to the members of management, who will ultimately decide the future course of actions and make business strategies. Thus, you ought to have excellent communication skills.
Sir, being in this field for the past 4 years, I have given almost 50 odd presentations to the senior management of the various organizations. Thus, I feel extremely confident and well-versed to perform this task. Be assured, I will not falter in this regard.
7. Name The Three Best Research Related Software That You Are Proficient In.
Technology dominates every business industry and corporate. This question tests how tech-savvy you are.
Sure, sir, These are:
- SPSS by IBM
- MATLAB by Mathworks
- Graphpad Prism
8. What Are The Different Steps Involved In Conducting Research?
This question tests your knowledge and understanding of the various research stages.
Sir, These are:
- Collection of relevant data on the basis of defined strategies and rules
- Organization of data on the basis of defined attributes
- Analysis of data for research purposes
- Drawing conclusions and inferences so as to develop strategies
9. Which Is The Best Statistical Tool For Research Visualization?
There are a variety of statistical tools, such as histogram, pie chart, line chart, scatter plot, box plot, etc. which are extensively used for visualization of data, which is collected for research purposes.
Sir, in my opinion, the good and old histogram is a perfect way to visualize all your data in a single frame. This not only speeds up the entire research process but also aids in making meaningful conclusions.
10. Being A Research Assistant You Will Be Required To Perform A Variety Of Clerical Tasks. How Comfortable Are You In This Aspect?
Since you are at the inception or middle phase of your career, you will certainly be required to perform administrative and clerical tasks. This is a common expectation from your business organization and you are certainly required to give a positive answer.
Sir, I completely understand the relevance of this interview question. I am completely comfortable and at ease while performing clerical functions, such as taking notes, drafting communications, or maybe planning business trips for my seniors. I am up and willing for such tasks.
11. Throughout Your Academic Life, You Got Educated At Different Schools and Colleges. Tell Us About Your Worst Teacher and Best Teacher.
This is a personality evaluating question and you are required to answer this question in the best logical manner. As an ideal response, start with your worst teacher first and explain why you disliked it. Post this, share about your best teacher, and couple it up with logic. It is true that the first part of this question is negative, but by answering diplomatically you will score negatively. Hence, be genuine and give a compelling answer.
12. Can You Describe Yourself In One Word?
This is a tricky interview question as you are required to summarize all your traits, attributes, and demonstrative skills, into a single word. This word must closely relate to you and must define your personality completely. Some of the best corporate-friendly words are, perseverance, detail-oriented, flexible, adaptable, progressive, patient, etc.
13. Research Is A Pain Staking Process and Involves Multiple Tasks. How Do You Prioritize?
This question checks whether or not you have any developed prioritization technique on the basis of which you can prioritize your assigned tasks. This may be prioritization on the basis of the difficulty level of the tasks, time consumed in completion of the tasks, or simply yield expected from each task. Whatever it is, just share a genuine response and explain in a lucid manner.
14. We Work As A Team. What Is Your Ideal Team Culture?
Every business organization nowadays works in a team setting. It is common to divide and segregate the members of the team on the basis of their education level, skills, and nature of the tasks to be performed. Through this interview question, an interviewer wants to understand what are the various qualities that you want to see in your team members. This could be anything from, supportive, dedicated, energetic, enthusiastic, etc.
15. What Motivates You To Work As A Research Assistant?
We are all motivated and compelled to perform to the best of our abilities due to a variety of reasons and factors. These attributes act as a rich source for personality evaluation and examination. Thus, an intevroiewer is always interested in knowing these factors. Just share a genuine response, as what compels you to work as a research assistant. You might love to collect data, or simply adore drawing conclusions. Whatever it is, just share in a reasoned manner.
16. What Are Your Salary Expectations?
This question might look easy and non-technical prima facie. In fact, it is indeed easy, but if you quote any random salary figure that is too high or too low from the median, then you certainly are in for some trouble. By doing this, you simply display that you are a non-serious candidate and have not conducted any meaningful research in regard to the salary offered to similar professionals in a similar role. Thus, conduct diligent research and quote a salary that is closest to the median salary.
17. What In Your Opinion Is A “Quality” Research.
Through this question, an interviewer wants you to share your own interpretation of the word “quality”. At the time of giving an answer to this interview question, just make sure you are sticking to your job profile and not quoting anything that is outside the corporate world.
18. How Do You Manage Research Related Stress?
Collection of data, organizing it, and then presenting it using relevant mediums, is a tricky thing and requires a lot of application of mind as well as effort. This might tantamount to stress, which might affect your professional performance. Thus, an interviewer is always interested in knowing the various stress management strategies adopted by you to reduce your stress levels.
19. When Can You Start Working With Us?
There is nothing technical in this interview question, yet a few candidates simply make a mess of it. They think of this question as a guarantee for their selection or interpret it in a way that the final selection is just off the edge. Unfortunately, it is not. Through this question and interviewer only wants to know about a true date, post which you can start working for the business organization if selected. Thus, never get too excited and just stick to the demands of the question.
20. If You Were An Animal, What Would You Be?
For the unprepared candidates, this is a simple interview question, that does not require any special preparation. However, for the veteran and prepared ones, this is a master personality evaluator. This question requires you to choose any corporate-friendly animal ( bald eagle, elephant, dolphins, honey bees, etc.) and then align the positive qualities of this animal with the requirements of this job.
For example, hard work is a necessary attribute for any research post, so you can choose honey bees as your preferred animal and say, that you would love to be a honey bee as it is the busiest and most hardworking creature. And if you are able to replicate even 25% of its strength at your workplace, you will be able to deliver quality performances.
21. Do You Want To Ask Any Questions From Us?
This question gives you an opportunity to ask a few relevant questions from your interviewer that are associated with your apprehensions in regards to the business organization, such as its work culture, the allowances offered, its work timings, etc. Make sure that you attempt this question with high enthusiasm and spirit so that you are able to close your interview session in style. A few model questions have been mentioned below for your reference.
- Is it the policy of the company to offer paid maternity/paternity leaves to its regular employees?
- Please share a list of all the allowances, insurances, and incentives that the company offers to its employees.
- Harassment and bullying at the workplace are a mess. What are the prohibitory policies of the organization in this regard?
Table of Contents
- 1 21 Best Interview Questions To Study
- 1.1 1. Research Gives You A Competitive Advantage. Comment.
- 1.2 2. In Regards To A Manufacturing Company, What Major Aspects Would You Research?
- 1.3 3. Name Any Three Parameters For Seggregating Marketing Related Consumer Information.
- 1.4 4. What Are The Attributes Of A Good Research Assistant?
- 1.5 5. Explain “Diagnostic Research” Which Is One Of The Several Types Of Researches Performed In The Industry?
- 1.6 6. You Need To Present The Analyzed Data To The Senior Management. How Good Are Your Communication Skills?
- 1.7 7. Name The Three Best Research Related Software That You Are Proficient In.
- 1.8 8. What Are The Different Steps Involved In Conducting Research?
- 1.9 9. Which Is The Best Statistical Tool For Research Visualization?
- 1.10 10. Being A Research Assistant You Will Be Required To Perform A Variety Of Clerical Tasks. How Comfortable Are You In This Aspect?
- 1.11 11. Throughout Your Academic Life, You Got Educated At Different Schools and Colleges. Tell Us About Your Worst Teacher and Best Teacher.
- 1.12 12. Can You Describe Yourself In One Word?
- 1.13 13. Research Is A Pain Staking Process and Involves Multiple Tasks. How Do You Prioritize?
- 1.14 14. We Work As A Team. What Is Your Ideal Team Culture?
- 1.15 15. What Motivates You To Work As A Research Assistant?
- 1.16 16. What Are Your Salary Expectations?
- 1.17 17. What In Your Opinion Is A “Quality” Research.
- 1.18 18. How Do You Manage Research Related Stress?
- 1.19 19. When Can You Start Working With Us?
- 1.20 20. If You Were An Animal, What Would You Be?
- 1.21 21. Do You Want To Ask Any Questions From Us?
- 2 References