A business is all about managing and executing several projects received by it from other corporate institutions. This is usually the primary mantra of conducting business which is to break, divide or bifurcate a task into smaller parts, often named as a project. For example, a car manufacturing organization might undertake job work to produce and then sell engines, to another similar enterprise at a profit. This could be considered as a single project and usually, managers are appointed to handle, oversee and supervise such business activities so as to make sure the organization remains on the path of profitability and is able to satisfy the quality and time requirements.
21 Most Important Interview Questions
1) What Do You Understand By Cultural Relativism?
A project manager is usually supposed to lead a team of several employees and work in different regions and countries. Hence, it is of utmost importance for him or her to have a complete understanding of cultural relativism. This question checks your knowledge and in this regard.
Sir, business organizations operate and execute projects in several regions and societies that are culturally diverse and follow an entirely different set of customs, traditions, and beliefs. It is pertinent to understand these aspects in order to become successful.
2) How Can You Maintain Harmony Among The Members Of Your Teams?
It is very important for a project manager to maintain an excellent level of understanding and rapport among the members of a team that are working towards achieving a common goal, and that is project excellence.
Sir, when all the employees of teamwork together towards a single goal in harmony, then even the most improbable and unrealistic situations become true and seem achievable. In order to do so, I ensure that all my subordinates follow and are aware of the company codes of ethical conduct. It is very necessary not to indulge in distractions and unethical activities such as harassment, bullying, and teasing of any form.
3) Business Organizations Ensure Success Through Goal Congruence. What Do You Mean By This Term?
This question tests your knowledge and understanding of the goal congruence.
Sir, goal congruence is important in a corporate structure and particularly for diverse business organizations. It simply means that the goals and objectives of a business organization must coincide and match with the individual goals of the employees of the organization.
4) Name Two Prominent Project Management Software Which You Have Used Earlier.
Technology has influenced almost all types of industries and organizations. Project management is not an exception. Through this question, you are requested to share the name of any two project management software which you might have used in the past and have a good understanding of the same.
Sure, sir, I have used different software in the past, but I would like to name the best ones, which I have used so far:
- Microsoft Project
5) What Do You Mean By Heaven and Why People Hate Hell?
An interview is a set of questions that have the ability to surprise you and amaze you with its variety. This is a question aimed at analyzing your body language and your presentation skills along with your critical thinking ability.
Sir, both these are imaginary terms aimed at developing a sense of consciousness and morality among the people. If a person, do bad things in life, like lying, robbery, murders, etc, he or she would go straight to hell to rot. However, on the flip side, a samaritan who always works for humanity and engages in good deeds would go straight to heaven.
6) How Do You Manage Team Members That Are Underperforming?
This is a practical job-related question that tests your understanding and knowledge in regards to the management and administration of human resources.
Sir, it is a common thing that happens frequently in a project. A manager must be capable enough of handling this situation. In my humble opinion, a project manager must have a face-to-face conversation with such employees and using active skills, understand the core of the problems that are affecting and hampering their individual performance.
7) Which Is Your Favorite Animal?
This question might seem simple and easy prima facie. However, this is a master personality evaluating question using which an interviewer is able to analyze your future aspirations, skills, and abilities.
Sir, without disregard for any other animal, I sincerely like honey bees. These are the insects that are the most hardworking on the entire planet earth and put on display an unmatchable level of hard work, commitment, and perseverance. If humans could replicate even the 25% of them, they could work wonders in this world.
8) Name The Qualities That A Project Manager Must Posess.
This is a common interview question through which an interviewer wants to know about your understanding of the job.
Sure, sir, I would like to share the three most important attributes that a project manager must possess, these are:
- Time management and
- A problem solving positive attitude
9) What Advice Would You Give To A Greenhorn Project Manager?
This is a personality evaluating question that requires you to share your opinion, advice, and guidance with a young project manager who is at the very beginning of his or her career.
Sir, there are several things that a young project manager must learn and implement. However, I would like to tell two most important things, which are:
- Be patient: There will always be times when your plans will not work and it would seem that everything is lost. But hold your nerves, and be patient.
- Keep a track: A young project manager must keep a track on at least two things, which are expenditure and time.
10) How Do You Handle Project Failures?
This is a job-specific interview question that requires you to share the method or strategy using which you cope with project failures and move forward with confidence and a better understanding of the situations.
Sir, Project failures are quite common for business organizations and have the ability to run into losses worth millions. It also leads to a negative impact on the confidence as well as the mindset of a project manager. However, you can not always win, and there will always be situations that will go against you.
11) People Are Usually Averse To Criticisms and Feedbacks. How Do You Perceive This Situation?
This is a personality evaluating question, through which your attitude and approach towards criticisms and negative feedbacks are evaluated. It is necessary to give a convincing reply to this question, as this could play a major role in your selection process.
Sir, it is true that most people do not like to know about their weaknesses and negative traits. However, I assure you that I am not the same, and am very much open to receiving and understanding the criticisms in my regards.
12) When Can You Start?
This is a common interview question using which an interviewer wants to know your availability. Read more specifically about this interview question, through our exclusive post.
Sir, I am currently working with a reputed business organization on one of its prestigious projects that would end soon. It is the organization’s policy to extend all the benefits within 7 days of the project completion. Considering two more days of buffer, I would choose (___mention the expected date of start) as my starting date.
13) What Motivates You To Work?
This is a common interview question using which an interviewer wants to know the primary factors or reasons that motivates you to work hard. An exhaustive reparation for this interview question is quite necessary and could be done by accessing this link.
Sir, a perfect answer to this question is influenced by the personal desires, financial conditions, circumstances, and requirements of an individual. In my case, it is my desire to climb up the corporate ladder and become successful in my professional career.
14) Projects Have A Fixed Budget. Tell The Primary Factor That Leads To Surpassing Of That Budget?
Almost all the projects that an organization undertakes have a fixed budget assigned to them which is usually forecasted by the chief financial officer of the organization. A project manager is required to strictly adhere to this budgetary requirement.
Sir, the primary factor is an unexpected increase in the prices of raw materials due to artificial shortage and legal regulations.
This question requires you to share some memories, which are related to a project that you successfully completed and the organization earned a lot from it.
Sir, I was working as a construction manager for a project which was quite profitable for the business organization, as I was able to reduce the overall budgeted cost expenditure by almost 35%.
16) How Do You Prioritize Between Several Tasks?
This is an important interview question that requires you to share a strategy using which you are able to manage and execute the tasks and duties allocated to you in a single working day. Prepare deeply and comprehensively to this question, by accessing our exclusive post.
Sir, In order to meet the deadlines and achieve the targets it is extremely important to devise and follow a good prioritization strategy. It is my style to always arrange the tasks in the order of their time consumption.
17) Why You Chose Us?
Through this question, an interviewer wants to know your level of seriousness towards the organization. Prepmycareer has brainstormed an exclusive post, which would help you to give your preparation a lift. Access the article, by clicking on this link.
Being a decades-old business organization, with operations spread across the nation through its prestigious 567 branches and more than 1000 employees, this organization is a dream company for every business professional and I am no exception.
18) Project Managers Prefer To Work Alone. Is It True?
This question requires you to make a choice between working alone and working in a team setting. Prepmycareer is pleased to bring you an exclusive post that entirely covers this interview question. Access that post, by clicking on this link.
Sir, in my humble opinion, the situation is partially true. Project managers are usually industry veterans and have the ability to work with minimum supervision and guidance.
19) Can You Handle Stressful Working Conditions?
This is a common interview question using which an interviewer wants to know whether or not you will be able to work in a hectic working environment Prepare exceptionally for this interview question, by reading our famous article on this interview question. Click on this link.
Yes sir absolutely, I have the ability as well as mental and physical strengths to perform exceptionally well in the hectic business environment. I regularly engage myself in intense weight training workouts and meditation on a daily basis.
20) What Is Your Major Strength?
It will not be wrong to say that an interview session is incomplete without asking a strength or weakness-related question. You can follow our exclusive post written specifically so as to prepare deeply for this question, using this link.
Sir, I have the ability to work for a longer period of time without taking breaks or recesses. This is possible because of the high concentration level and focuses that I possess.
21) Do You Have Any Questions For Us?
This is the last question that gives a candidate an opportunity to clear their doubts and apprehensions by asking a few questions from his or her interviewer. It is necessary for a candidate to attempt all the questions of an interview session and this is no exception.
- What are the various health benefits extended by the organization to its employees?
- Please share the work timings followed the organization in various shifts.
- What is the procedure using which an organization calculates its overtime allowance?
Table of Contents
- 1 21 Most Important Interview Questions
- 1.1 1) What Do You Understand By Cultural Relativism?
- 1.2 2) How Can You Maintain Harmony Among The Members Of Your Teams?
- 1.3 3) Business Organizations Ensure Success Through Goal Congruence. What Do You Mean By This Term?
- 1.4 4) Name Two Prominent Project Management Software Which You Have Used Earlier.
- 1.5 5) What Do You Mean By Heaven and Why People Hate Hell?
- 1.6 6) How Do You Manage Team Members That Are Underperforming?
- 1.7 7) Which Is Your Favorite Animal?
- 1.8 8) Name The Qualities That A Project Manager Must Posess.
- 1.9 9) What Advice Would You Give To A Greenhorn Project Manager?
- 1.10 10) How Do You Handle Project Failures?
- 1.11 11) People Are Usually Averse To Criticisms and Feedbacks. How Do You Perceive This Situation?
- 1.12 12) When Can You Start?
- 1.13 13) What Motivates You To Work?
- 1.14 14) Projects Have A Fixed Budget. Tell The Primary Factor That Leads To Surpassing Of That Budget?
- 1.15 15) Share The Most Profitable and Successful Project You Have Ever Worked On?
- 1.16 16) How Do You Prioritize Between Several Tasks?
- 1.17 17) Why You Chose Us?
- 1.18 18) Project Managers Prefer To Work Alone. Is It True?
- 1.19 19) Can You Handle Stressful Working Conditions?
- 1.20 20) What Is Your Major Strength?
- 1.21 21) Do You Have Any Questions For Us?
- 2 References